The Influence Of Wetland Type And Wetland Proximity On Residential Property Values
AbstractUsing detailed residential housing and wetland location data, we determine relative preferences for proximity to four broad classes of wetlands, as expressed through housing values. Implicit prices for proximity to open-water and scrub-shrub wetlands are relatively higher than those for emergent-vegetation and forested wetlands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (1996)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lupi, Frank & Graham-Tomasi, Theodore & Taff, Steven J., 1991. "A Hedonic Approach To Urban Wetland Valuation," Staff Papers 13284, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Doss, Cheryl R. & Taff, Steven J., 1993. "The Relationship Of Property Values And Wetlands Proximity In Ramsey County, Minnesota," Economic Reports 13086, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Lansford, Notie H., Jr. & Jones, Lonnie L., 1995. "Marginal Price Of Lake Recreation And Aesthetics: An Hedonic Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Timothy J. Bartik & V. Kerry Smith, 1996.
"Urban Amenities and Public Policy,"
Book chapters authored by Upjohn Institute researchers,
in: V. Kerry Smith (ed.), Estimating Economic Values for Nature: Methods for Non-Market Valuation, pages 271-318
W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Kohlhase, Janet E., 1991. "The impact of toxic waste sites on housing values," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 1-26, July.
RePEc Biblio mentionsAs found on the RePEc Biblio, the curated bibliography for Economics:
- > Environmental and Natural Resource Economics > Environmental Economics > Valuation > Hedonic pricing studies
- Seong-Hoon Cho & Dayton Lambert & Seung Kim & Roland Roberts & William Park, 2011. "Relationship between value of open space and distance from housing locations within a community," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 393-414, December.
- Anderson, Soren T. & West, Sarah E., 2006. "Open space, residential property values, and spatial context," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 773-789, November.
- JunJie Wu & Richard M. Adams & Andrew J. Plantinga, 2004.
"Amenities in an Urban Equilibrium Model: Residential Development in Portland, Oregon,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(1), pages 19-32.
- Wu, JunJie & Adams, Richard M. & Plantinga, Andrew J., 2003. "Amenities In An Urban Equilibrium Model: Residential Development In Portland, Oregon," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21961, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Katherine Kiel, 2007.
"The Impact of Wetlands Rules on the Prices of Regulated and Proximate Houses: A Case Study,"
0707, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Katherine A. Kiel, 2007. "The impact of wetlands rules on the prices of regulated and proximate houses: a case study," New England Public Policy Center Working Paper 07-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Pearson, L. J. & Tisdell, C. & Lisle, A. T., 2002. "The Impact of Noosa National Park on Surrounding Property Values: An Application of the Hedonic Price Method," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 32(2), pages 155-171, June Spec.
- Bin, Okmyung & Polasky, Stephen, 2005. "Evidence on the Amenity Value of Wetlands in a Rural Setting," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(03), December.
- Kovacs, Kent F. & Larson, Douglas M., 2005. "Development Patterns and the Recreation Value of Amenities," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19149, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Cho, Seong-Hoon & Poudyal, Neelam C. & Roberts, Roland K., 2008. "Spatial analysis of the amenity value of green open space," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 403-416, June.
- Waltert, Fabian & Schläpfer, Felix, 2010. "Landscape amenities and local development: A review of migration, regional economic and hedonic pricing studies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 141-152, December.
- Cho, Seong-Hoon & Bowker, James Michael & Park, William M., 2006.
"Measuring the Contribution of Water and Green Space Amenities to Housing Values: An Application and Comparison of Spatially Weighted Hedonic Models,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Cho, Seong-Hoon & Bowker, James Michael & Park, William M., 2006. "Measuring the Contribution of Water and Green Space Amenities to Housing Values: An Application and Comparison of Spatially-weighted Hedonic Models," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21242, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Yoo, James & Simonit, Silvio & Connors, John P. & Kinzig, Ann P. & Perrings, Charles, 2014. "The valuation of off-site ecosystem service flows: Deforestation, erosion and the amenity value of lakes in Prescott, Arizona," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(C), pages 74-83.
- Steve Gibbons & Susana Mourato & Guilherme Resende, 2011. "The Amenity Value of English Nature: A Hedonic Price Approach," SERC Discussion Papers 0074, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Kriesel, Warren & Mullen, Jeffrey D., 2009. "Alternative Housing Development Strategies in Georgia's Coastal Marshlands," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49514, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- O. Ashton Morgan & Stuart E. Hamilton, 2009. "Disentangling Access and View Amenities in Access-restricted Coastal Residential Communities," Working Papers 09-10, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Marshall, Elizabeth P. & Homans, Frances R., 2002. "Urban Planning And The Location Of Environmental Amenities," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19610, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- I.J. Bateman & A.P. Jones & A.A. Lovett & I.R. Lake & B.H. Day, 2002. "Applying Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to Environmental and Resource Economics," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 219-269, June.
- Cotteleer, Geerte & van Kooten, G. Cornelis, 2012. "Expert opinion versus actual transaction evidence in the valuation of non-market amenities," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 32-40.
- Sander, Heather & Polasky, Stephen & Haight, Robert G., 2010. "The value of urban tree cover: A hedonic property price model in Ramsey and Dakota Counties, Minnesota, USA," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(8), pages 1646-1656, June.
- Sims, Katharine R.E. & Schuetz, Jenny, 2009. "Local regulation and land-use change: The effects of wetlands bylaws in Massachusetts," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 409-421, July.
- Heimlich, Ralph E. & Wiebe, Keith D. & Claassen, Roger & Gadsby, Dwight M. & House, Robert M., 1998. "Wetlands and Agriculture: Private Interests and Public Benefits," Agricultural Economics Reports 34043, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Shultz, Steven D. & Taff, Steven J., 2003. "Implicit Prices Of Wetland Easements," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22163, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.