Marginal Price Of Lake Recreation And Aesthetics: An Hedonic Approach
AbstractEfficient allocation of water requires knowledge of water's value in both consumptive and nonconsumptive uses. This study estimates the marginal value of water in lake recreational and aesthetic (RA) use. An hedonic price equation (employing the Box-Cox functional form) indicates lake front location, distance to lake, and scenic view are significant RA characteristics of housing. Water front properties command a premium price for the private access they offer. Beyond the water front, the marginal RA price falls rapidly with increasing distance, becoming asymptotic to some minimum. Twenty-two percent of housing price is found to be attributable to the RA component.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (1995)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Aesthetic; Box-Cox; Hedonic; Housing; Lake; Nonmarket; Recreation; Water; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Godfrey, Leslie G., 1978. "Testing for multiplicative heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 227-236, October.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-75, November.
- Kovacs, Kent F. & Larson, Douglas M., 2005. "Development Patterns and the Recreation Value of Amenities," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19149, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- O. Ashton Morgan & Stuart E. Hamilton, 2009. "Disentangling Access and View Amenities in Access-restricted Coastal Residential Communities," Working Papers 09-10, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Hodgkinson, Ann & Valadkhani, Abbas, 2009.
"Community Valuations of Environmental Qality in Coastal Lakes: Lake Illawarra Case Study,"
Economics Working Papers
wp09-03, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Ann Hodgkinson & Abbas Valadkhani, 2009. "Community Valuations of Environmental Quality in Coastal Lakes: Lake Illawarra Case Study," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 28(2), pages 155-168, 06.
- Morgan, O. Ashton & Hamilton, Stuart E., 2011. "Disentangling Access and View Amenities in Access-Restricted Coastal Residential Communities," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(02), May.
- Brovencher, Bill & Sarakinos, Helen & Meyer, Tanya, 2006. "Does Small Dam Removal Affect Local Property Values? An Empirical Analysis," Staff Paper Series 501, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Doss, Cheryl R. & Taff, Steven J., 1996. "The Influence Of Wetland Type And Wetland Proximity On Residential Property Values," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Wu, JunJie & Adams, Richard M. & Plantinga, Andrew J., 2003.
"Amenities In An Urban Equilibrium Model: Residential Development In Portland, Oregon,"
2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada
21961, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- JunJie Wu & Richard M. Adams & Andrew J. Plantinga, 2004. "Amenities in an Urban Equilibrium Model: Residential Development in Portland, Oregon," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(1), pages 19-32.
- Liu, Sezhu & Hite, Diane, 2013. "Measuring the Effect of Green Space on Property Value: An Application of the Hedonic Spatial Quantile Regression," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143045, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Lin, Haixia & Wu, JunJie, 2005. "Conservation Policy and Land Value: The Conservation Reserve Program," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19417, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Shrestha, Ram K. & Alavalapati, Janaki R.R., 2004. "Effect of Ranchland Attributes on Recreational Hunting in Florida: A Hedonic Price Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(03), December.
- Carolyn A. Dehring & Craig A. Depken, II & Michael R. Ward, 2006.
"The Impact of Stadium Announcements on Residential Property Values: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Dallas-Fort Worth,"
0616, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Carolyn A. Dehring & Craig A. Depken & Michael R. Ward, 2007. "The Impact Of Stadium Announcements On Residential Property Values: Evidence From A Natural Experiment In Dallas-Fort Worth," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(4), pages 627-638, October.
- Craig A. Depken & Michael R. Ward & Carolyn A. Dehring, 2006. "The Impact of Stadium Announcements on Residential Property Values: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Dallas-Fort Worth," Working Papers 0602, University of Texas at Arlington, Department of Economics.
- Russell Kashian, 2006. "Lake Drawdown: A Debate on the Value of 2 Inches of Water," Working Papers 06-02, UW-Whitewater, Department of Economics.
- Larkin, Sherry L. & Alavalapati, Janaki R.R. & Shrestha, Ram K., 2005. "Estimating the Cost of Preserving Private Lands in Florida: An Hedonic Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(01), April.
- Mooney, Sian, 1997. "Relationship Between the Implicit Value of Riverside Property, Environmental Amenities, and Streambank Protection," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35789, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Peter Colwell & Carolyn Dehring, 2005. "The Pricing of Lake Lots," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(3), pages 267-283, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.