The Effects of Aquatic Invasive Species on Property Values: Evidence from a Quasi-Experiment
AbstractThis study uses hedonic analysis to estimate the effects of a common aquatic invasive species—Eurasian watermilfoil (milfoil)—on property values across an extensive system of over 170 lakes in the northern forest region of Wisconsin. Since milfoil is inadvertently spread by recreational boaters, and since boaters are more likely to visit attractive lakes, variables indicating the presence of milfoil are endogenous in a hedonic model. Using an identification strategy based on a spatial difference-in-differences specification, results indicate that lakes invaded with milfoil experienced an average 13% decrease in land values after invasion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q51 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Valuation of Environmental Effects
- Q57 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Ecological Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Provencher, Bill & Lewis, David J. & Anderson, Kathryn, 2012. "Disentangling preferences and expectations in stated preference analysis with respondent uncertainty: The case of invasive species prevention," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 169-182.
- Kent Kovacs & Thomas Holmes & Jeffrey Englin & Janice Alexander, 2011. "The Dynamic Response of Housing Values to a Forest Invasive Disease: Evidence from a Sudden Oak Death Infestation," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 49(3), pages 445-471, July.
- Goodenberger, James & Klaiber, H. Allen, 2013. "Evading Invasives: How Eurasian Water-Milfoil Effects the Development of Lakefront Properties," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150309, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Kaiser, Brooks A. & Burnett, Kimberly M., 2010.
"Spatial economic analysis of early detection and rapid response strategies for an invasive species,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 566-585, November.
- Brooks Kaiser & Kimberly Burnett, 2010. "Spatial Economic Analysis of Early Detection and Rapid Response Strategies for an Invasive Species," Working Papers 2010-05, University of Hawaii Economic Research Organization, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Dalmazzone Silvana & Giaccaria Sergio, 2012. "Economic drivers of biological invasions: A worldwide, bio-geographical analysis," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201215, University of Turin.
- Zhang, Congwen & Boyle, Kevin J., 2010. "The effect of an aquatic invasive species (Eurasian watermilfoil) on lakefront property values," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 394-404, December.
- Jean-Sauveur Ay & Laure Latruffe, 2013.
"The empirical content of the present value model: a survey of the instrumental uses of farmland prices,"
209441, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Latruffe , Laure & Ay, Jean-Sauveur, 2013. "The Empirical Content of the Present Value Model: A survey of the instrumental uses of farmland prices," Factor Markets Working Papers 165, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Ay, Jean-Sauveur & Latruffe, Laure, 2013. "The Empirical Content of the Present Value Model: A survey of the instrumental uses of farmland prices," Working Papers 157112, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Adams, Damian C. & Bwenge, Anafrida N. & Lee, Donna J. & Larkin, Sherry L. & Alavalapati, Janaki R.R., 2011. "Public preferences for controlling upland invasive plants in state parks: Application of a choice model," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 465-472, July.
- Dennis Guignet, 2013. "What Do Property Values Really Tell Us? A Hedonic Study of Underground Storage Tanks," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 89(2), pages 211-226.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.