Supportive Housing and Neighborhood Property Value Externalities
AbstractWe analyzed impacts on single-fam- institutional settings. As part of the nationily home prices of eleven, small-scale supportive wide “deinstitutionalization” movement housing facilities announced in Denver during beginning in the 1970s, chronically men- 1989–1995.Using a difference in differences econo- tally ill, developmentally and physically dis- metric specification, we found that these facilities abled, non-violent produced a positive impact on house prices within offenders, recovering 1,001 to 2,000 feet.We attributed this effect to coun- substance abusers, and frail elderly inditervailing externalities (building rehabilitation vs. viduals have increasingly been domiciled resident behaviors) that vary in their spatial extent. in small-scale facilities located in residen- Supportive housing facilities were systematically tial neighborhoods. This “normalization” sited in neighborhoods with declining relative of residential environment, coupled with prices compared to elsewhere in the census tract. on-site and on-call specialized care, is seen This location bias led a conventional econometric as therapeutic bymany policy makers (New- specification to erroneously estimate a negative property value impact from supportive housing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R31 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Spatial Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Housing Supply and Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Florian Hagn & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007.
"Labour Market Effects of the 2006 Soccer World Cup in Germany,"
0716, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Florian Hagn & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "Labour Market Effects of the 2006 Soccer World Cup in Germany," Working Papers 008, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Horsch, Eric J. & Lewis, David J., 2008. "The Effects of Aquatic Invasive Species on Property Values: Evidence from a Quasi-Random Experiment," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6199, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- repec:asg:wpaper:1004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010.
"Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 205-227, April.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25512, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "Impact of Sports Arenas on Land Values: Evidence from Berlin," Working Papers 0703, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Carriazo, Fernando & Ready, Richard & Shortle, James, 2013. "Using stochastic frontier models to mitigate omitted variable bias in hedonic pricing models: A case study for air quality in Bogotá, Colombia," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 80-88.
- Hagn, Florian & Maennig, Wolfgang, 2008. "Employment effects of the Football World Cup 1974 in Germany," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 1062-1075, October.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt, 2010. "Architektur, Ökonomie - Architekturökonomie," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11(4), pages 340-355, November.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "Assessing External Effects of City Airports: Land Values in Berlin," Working Papers 011, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt, 2007. "If Alonso Was Right: Accessibility as Determinant for Attractiveness of Urban Location," Working Papers 012, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2008. "Award-Winning Architecture and Urban Revitalization: The Case of “Olympic Arenas” in Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg," Working Papers 0814, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.