Economic Assessment of Food Safety Regulations: The New Approach to Meat and Poultry Inspection
AbstractUSDA is now requiring all Federally inspected meat and poultry processing and slaughter plants to implement a new system called Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) to reduce potentially harmful microbial pathogens in the food supply. This report finds that the benefits of the new regulations, which are the medical costs and productivity losses that are prevented when foodborne illnesses are averted, will likely exceed the costs, which include spending by firms on sanitation, temperature control, planning and training, and testing. Other, nonregulatory approaches can also improve food safety, such as providing market incentives for pathogen reduction, irradiation, and education and labeling to promote safe food handling and thorough cooking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service in its series Agricultural Economics Reports with number 34009.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1400 Independence Ave.,SW, Mail Stop 1800, Washington, DC 20250-1800
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
food safety; foodborne illness; microbial pathogens; meat and poultry inspection; HACCP; cost of illness; consumer education; irradiation; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jill E. Hobbs & William A. Kerr, 1992. "Costs of monitoring food safety and vertical coordination in agribusiness: What can be learned from the British Food Safety Act 1990?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 575-584.
- Roberts, Tanya, 1991. "A Survey of Estimated Risks of Human Illness and Costs of Microbial Foodborne Disease," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 9(1).
- Buzby, Jean C. & Roberts, Tanya & Lin, Chung-Tung Jordan & MacDonald, James M., 1996. "Bacterial Foodborne Disease: Medical Costs and Productivity Losses," Agricultural Economics Reports 33991, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1993. "The Value of Risks to Life and Health," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1912-46, December.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Valuing Food Safety in Experimental Auction Markets," Staff General Research Papers 835, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Golan, Elise H. & Vogel, Stephen J. & Frenzen, Paul D. & Ralston, Katherine L., 2000. "Tracing The Costs And Benefits Of Improvements In Food Safety: The Case Of Hazard Analysis And Critical Control Point Program For Meat And Poultry," Agricultural Economics Reports 34023, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Goldsmith, Peter D. & Turan, Nesve A. & Gow, Hamish R., 2004. "Firms, Incentives, And The Supply Of Food Safety: A Formal Model Of Government Enforcement," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20343, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Scott A. Malcolm & Clare A. Narrod & Tanya Roberts & Michael Ollinger, 2004. "Evaluating the economic effectiveness of pathogen reduction technologies in cattle slaughter plants," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 109-123.
- William E. Nganje & Mounir Siaplay & Simeon Kaitibie & Emmanuel T. Acquah, 2006. "Predicting food safety losses in turkey processing and the economic incentives of hazard analysis and critical control point (HACCP) intervention," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 475-489.
- Jayasinghe-Mudalige, Udith K. & Henson, Spencer J., 2004. "Quantifying The Impact Of Economic Incentives On Firms' Food Safety Responsiveness: The Case Of Red Meat And Poultry Processing Sector In Canada," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20419, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ragona, Maddalena & Mazzocchi, Mario, 2008. "Measuring the Impacts of Food Safety Regulations: A Methodological Review," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43864, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Gomez, Miguel I., 1998. "Costs Of Improving Food Safety In The Meat Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(01), July.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Stamland, Tommy, 2006. "Consistent estimation of the value of statistical life," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 262-281, August.
- Caswell, Julie A., 1998. "Valuing the benefits and costs of improved food safety and nutrition," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(4), December.
- Schimmelpfennig, David E. & Norton, George W., 2000. "What Value Is Agricultural Economics Research?," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21773, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jensen, Helen H. & Unnevehr, Laurian J. & Gomez, Miguel I., 1998.
"Costs of Improving Food Safety in the Meat Sector (The),"
Staff General Research Papers
1156, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Helen H. Jensen & Laurian J. Unnevehr & Miguel I. Gomez, 1998. "Costs of Improving Food Safety in the Meat Sector, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 98-wp189, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Roth, Michael & Doluschitz, Reiner, 2007. "KOSTEN-NUTZEN-ANALYSE FUR QUALITATSSICHERUNGS UND RUCKVERFOLGBARKEITSSYSTEME IN WERTSCHOPFUNGSKETTEN TIERISCHER PRODUKTE (German)," 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 7589, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Mojduszka, Eliza M., 2004. "Private And Public Food Safety Control Mechanisms: Interdependence And Effectiveness," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19987, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Guru, Manjula V. & Wailes, Eric J. & Cramer, Gail L., 1999. "Impact Of Pesticide Regulatory Policies On U.S. Rice Production," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21544, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Taylor, Michael & Batz, Michael & Tauxe, Robert & Morris, Glenn & Doyle, Michael & Painter, John & Singh, Ruby & Lo Fo Wong, Danilo, 2004. "Linking Illness to Food: Summary of a Workshop on Food Attribution," Discussion Papers dp-fsrc-dp-02, Resources For the Future.
- Cao, Kay & Maurer, Oswin & Scrimgeour, Frank G. & Dake, Chris K.G., 2005.
"Estimating The Cost Of Food Safety Regulations To The New Zealand Seafood Industry,"
Australasian Agribusiness Review,
University of Melbourne, Melbourne School of Land and Environment, vol. 13.
- Cao, Kay & Maurer, Oswin & Scrimgeour, Frank G., 2003. "Estimating The Cost Of Food Safety Regulation To The New Zealand Seafood Industry," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57840, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Anderson, David P. & Mintert, James R. & Brester, Gary W., 1998. "The North American Livestock Industry: A U.S. Perspective," Economic Harmonization in the Canadian\U.S.\Mexican Grain-Livestock Subsector; Proceedings of the 4th Agricultural and Food Policy Systems... 1998 16765, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Ragona, Maddalena & Mazzocchi, Mario, 2008. "Impact Evaluation of Food Safety Regulations: A Review of Quantitative Methods," 110th Seminar, February 18-22, 2008, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 49887, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Xia, Tian & Weyerbrock, Silvia, 1998. "Veterinary Standards As Barriers To Trade: The Case Of Poultry Trade Between The U.S. And The Eu," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20924, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Tiongco, Marites & Catelo, Maria Angeles & Lapar, Ma. Lucila, 2008. "Contract farming of swine in Southeast Asia as a response to changing market demand for quality and safety in pork:," IFPRI discussion papers 779, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.