Farmers’ Perception of Precision Technology: The Case of Autosteer Adoption by Cotton Farmers
AbstractPrecision agriculture and autosteer technology are, overall, profitable investments for farmers, as previous literature has established. However, what has not been investigated is whether or not farmers perceive these technologies as such. This research postulates that cotton farmers must see potential for higher profits as a result of adopting precision technologies in order to adopt it. Using the 2009 Southern Cotton Precision Farming Survey and multinomial logit model, this research investigates farmers’ perception of precision agriculture and how those perceptions impact adoption of the autosteer GPS guidance system. Autosteer adoption was found to be significant and positively related to the perceived future importance of precision agriculture as well as farmers’ ranking of input cost savings relative to other attributes of the autosteer GPS technology. Additionally, results show that attributes of the cotton picker is another important factor in adoption of autosteer GPS technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama with number 119734.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Farmers’ perception; precision agriculture; autosteer; multinomial logit estimation; technology adoption; input cost saving.; Agribusiness; Agricultural Finance; Farm Management; Financial Economics; Labor and Human Capital; Production Economics; Risk and Uncertainty; Q12; Q16;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q16 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - R&D; Agricultural Technology; Biofuels; Agricultural Extension Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Baidu-Forson, Jojo, 1995. "Farmers' perceptions and adoption of new agricultural technology: evidence from analysis in Burkina Faso and Guinea, West Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 1-9, October.
- Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Zinnah, Moses M., 1993. "Technology characteristics, farmers' perceptions and adoption decisions: A Tobit model application in Sierra Leone," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 297-311, December.
- Shockley, Jordan M. & Dillon, Carl R. & Stombaugh, Timothy S., 2011. "A Whole Farm Analysis of the Influence of Auto-Steer Navigation on Net Returns, Risk, and Production Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(01), February.
- Madhu Khanna, 2001. "Sequential Adoption of Site-Specific Technologies and its Implications for Nitrogen Productivity: A Double Selectivity Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 35-51.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Paxton, Kenneth W. & Mishra, Ashok K. & Chintawar, Sachin & Larson, James A. & Roberts, Roland K. & English, Burton C. & Lambert, Dayton M. & Marra, Michele C. & Larkin, Sherry L. & Reeves, Jeanne M. , 2010. "Precision Agriculture Technology Adoption for Cotton Production," 2010 Annual Meeting, February 6-9, 2010, Orlando, Florida 56486, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Khanal, Aditya R. & Mishra, Ashok & Lambert, Dayton & Paudel, Krishna, 2013. "A Bayesian Analysis of GPS Guidance System in Precision Agriculture: The Role of Expectations," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150421, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.