Organic Farming In Denmark-Productivity, Technical Change And Market Exit
AbstractThis paper attempts to quantitatively measure the change in the productivity of Danish organic farming in recent years. Based on a translog production frontier framework the technical and scale efficiency on farm level is analysed by following a time trends as well as a general index model specification. We further try to analyse the significance of subsidies for promoting long term growth in organic production by estimating a bootstrapped bivariate probit model with respect to factors influencing the probability of organic market exit. The results revealed significant differencies in the organic farms' technical efficiencies, no significant total factor productivity growth and even a slightly negative rate of technical change in the period investigated. We found evidence for a positive relationship between subsidy payments and an increase in farm efficiency, technology improvements and a decreasing probability of organic market exit which was also confirmed for off farm income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA) in its series 47th Annual Conference, Weihenstephan, Germany, September 26-28, 2007 with number 7618.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Organic Farming; Total Factor Productivity; Market Exit; Agribusiness; Productivity Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M & Rich, Daniel P, 1995. "Airline Deregulation: The Cost Pieces of the Puzzle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 245-60, February.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2005.
"Skill-biased technical change in US manufacturing: a general index approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 549-570, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Rich, Daniel P., 2003. "Skill-Biased Technical Change in U.S. Manufacturing: A General Index Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 841, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Efthymios Tsionas & Theodore Papadogonas, 2006. "Firm exit and technical inefficiency," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(2), pages 535-548, June.
- David Audretsch & Patrick Houweling & A. Thurik, 2000. "Firm Survival in the Netherlands," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Oh, Donghyun & Heshmati, Almas & Lööf, Hans, 2009.
"Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
193, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Donghyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans L��f, 2012. "Technical change and total factor productivity growth for Swedish manufacturing and service industries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(18), pages 2373-2391, June.
- Dong-hyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans Loof, 2009. "Technical Change and Total Factor Productivity Growth for Swedish Manufacturing and Service Industries," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200912, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2009.
- Agustí Segarra & Maria Callejón, 2002. "New Firms' Survival and Market Turbulence: New Evidence from Spain," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Johannes Sauer, 2006. "Economic Theory and Econometric Practice: Parametric Efficiency Analysis," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 1061-1087, November.
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Louri, Helen, 2000. " Location and Survival of New Entry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 311-21, June.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2002. "Empirical Evidence of Technical Efficiency Levels in Greek Organic and Conventional Farms," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(2), August.
- Greene, W.H., 1996. "Marginal Effects in the Bivariate Probit Model," Working Papers 96-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Wheelock, David C & Wilson, Paul W, 1995.
"Explaining Bank Failures: Deposit Insurance, Regulation, and Efficiency,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 689-700, November.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 1993. "Explaining bank failures: deposit insurance, regulation, and efficiency," Working Papers 1993-002, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Flaten, Ola & Lien, Gudbrand D., 2005. "Stochastic Utility-Efficient Programming of Organic Dairy Farms," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24743, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:33:y:2001:i:1:p:35-48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Audretsch, David B & Mahmood, Talat, 1995. "New Firm Survival: New Results Using a Hazard Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 97-103, February.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J., 1989. "Variation In Producer Turnover Across U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Papers 12-89-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- KS Pietola & AO Lansink, 2001. "Farmer response to policies promoting organic farming technologies in Finland," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2004. "Productivity and technical change: Measurement and testing," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 185-191, January.
- Madau, Fabio A., 2005. "Technical Efficiency in Organic Farming: An Application on Italian Cereal Farms Using a Parametric Approach," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24545, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- David Audretsch, 1994. "Business Survival and the Decision to Exit," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 125-137.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Technical efficiency of alternative farming systems: the case of Greek organic and conventional olive-growing farms," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 549-569, December.
- Tzouvelekas, Vangelis & Pantzios, Christos J. & Fotopoulos, Christos, 2001. "Economic Efficiency In Organic Farming: Evidence From Cotton Farms In Viotia, Greece," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 33(01), April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.