Understanding Production Contracts: Testing An Agency Theory Model
AbstractProduction contracts are increasingly important in American agriculture. Unfortunately, little is known about the fundamental forces governing their adoption and design. In order to better-understand the underlying incentives, we construct and test an agency-theoretic model of broiler production contracts. We discuss the analysis' implications for industry participants and government policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT with number 20946.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Industrial Organization; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tiffin, Richard & Renwick, Alan, 1996. "Estimates of Production Response in the UK Cereal Sector Using Nonparametric Methods," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(2), pages 179-94.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Wallace, Nancy E., 1992.
"The Determinants of Efficiency and Solvency in Savings and Loans,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt1nj556zf, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Nancy E. Wallace, 1994. "The Determinants of Efficiency and Solvency in Savings and Loans," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 25(3), pages 361-381, Autumn.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin and Nancy E. Wallace., 1992. "The Determinants of Efficiency and Solvency in Savings and Loans," Economics Working Papers 92-195, University of California at Berkeley.
- Knoeber, Charles R, 1989. "A Real Game of Chicken: Contracts, Tournaments, and the Production of Broilers," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(2), pages 271-92, Fall.
- Knoeber, Charles R & Thurman, Walter N, 1994. "Testing the Theory of Tournaments: An Empirical Analysis of Broiler Production," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 12(2), pages 155-79, April.
- Tauer, Loren W., 1994. "Do New York Dairy Farmers Maximize Profits?," Staff Papers 121318, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Patterson, Paul M. & Richards, Timothy J., 2001. "Retail Contracting And Grower Prices," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20534, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hudson, Darren, 2001.
"Cross-Commodity Perspective On Contracting: Evidence From Mississippi,"
15800, Mississippi State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Darren Hudson, 2004. "Cross-Commodity Perspective on Contracting: Evidence from Mississippi," Industrial Organization 0412005, EconWPA.
- Thomsen, Michael R. & Goodwin, Harold L., Jr. & Rodriquez, Angela, 2004. "The Sky Is Falling: An Examination Of Broiler Contract Design And Grower Revenues," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20418, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Granoszewski, Karol & Spiller, Achim, 2013. "Vertragliche Zusammenarbeit bei der energetischen Biomasselieferung: Einstellungen und Bindungsbereitschaften von deutschen Landwirten," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156131, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.