Success In Maximizing Profits And Reasons For Profit Deviation On Dairy Farms
AbstractThe Weak Axiom of Profit Maximization (WAPM) was used to test how successful each of 70 individual New York State dairy farms was in maximizing profits using nine years of data. The netput vectors were corrected for technological change using nonparametric indices that do not require the assumption of profit maximization nor any functional form for the underlying technology. These technology indices are consistent with the nonparametric assumptions used in the WAPM tests. The average negative WAPM deviation over the 70 farms was .20, indicating that on average these farms could have selected available netput vectors that would have increased profits by 20 percent of total receipts. A tobit regression showed that the available characteristics on these farms explained very little of the variability in their abilities to select the best netput vectors. Yet, increased age and additional education increased the ability to select the best netput vector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management in its series Working Papers with number 127823.
Date of creation: Apr 1997
Date of revision:
Farm Management; Livestock Production/Industries;
Other versions of this item:
- Loren Tauer & Zdenko Stefanides, 1998. "Success in maximizing profits and reasons for profit deviation on dairy farms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 151-156, February.
- Tauer, Loren W. & Stefanides, Zdenko, 1997. "Success in Maximizing Profits and Reasons for Profit Deviation on Dairy Farms," Working Papers 127827, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Shawna Grosskopf & Mary Norris & Zhongyang Zhang, 1994. "Productivity Growth, Technical Progress, and Efficiency Change in Industrialized Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 66-83, March.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Moghnieh, Ghassan A. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1995.
"Farm-level nonparametric analysis of cost-minimization and profit-maximization behavior,"
Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 13(2), November.
- Featherstone, Allen M. & Moghnieh, Ghassan A. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1995. "Farm-level nonparametric analysis of cost-minimization and profit-maximization behavior," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 13(2), pages 109-117, November.
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Ullah, Aman, 1974. "Competitive Firm and the Theory of Input Demand under Price Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(3), pages 537-48, May/June.
- Tauer, Loren W., 1994. "Do New York Dairy Farmers Maximize Profits?," Staff Papers 121318, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Treadway, Arthur B., 1970. "Adjustment costs and variable inputs in the theory of the competitive firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 329-347, December.
- Simon, Herbert A., 1984. "On the behavioral and rational foundations of economic dynamics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 35-55, March.
- Vandermersch, Mieke & Mathijs, Erik, 2002. "Do Management Profiles Matter? An Analysis of Belgian Dairy Farmers," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24832, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," Working Papers 2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Tauer, Loren W., 2003.
"The Impact of recombinant bovine Somatotropin on Dairy Farm Profits: A Switching Regression Analysis,"
127241, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Tauer, Loren W., 2004. "The Impact Of Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin On Dairy Farm Profits: A Switching Regression Analysis," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20411, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Galanopoulos, Konstantinos & Aggelopoulos, Stamatis & Kamenidou, Irene & Mattas, Konstadinos, 2006. "Assessing the effects of managerial and production practices on the efficiency of commercial pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 88(2-3), pages 125-141, June.
- Ekaterina Emm & Jayant Kale, 2006. "Efficiency Implications of Corporate Diversification: Evidence from Micro Data," Working Papers 06-26, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Nastis, Stefanos A. & Papanagiotou, Evangelos & Zamanidis, Savvas, 2012. "Productive Efficiency of Subsidized Organic Alfalfa Farms," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(2), August.
- Wossink, Ada & Denaux, Zulal S., 2006. "Environmental and cost efficiency of pesticide use in transgenic and conventional cotton production," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 90(1-3), pages 312-328, October.
- Fraser, I. & Cordina, D., 1999. "An application of data envelopment analysis to irrigated dairy farms in Northern Victoria, Australia," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 267-282, March.
- Stefanides, Zdenko & Tauer, Loren W., 1997. "Estimating Individual Farm Supply And Demand Elasticities Using Nonparametric Production Analysis," Working Papers 14743, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Liu, John S. & Lu, Louis Y.Y. & Lu, Wen-Min & Lin, Bruce J.Y., 2013. "A survey of DEA applications," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 893-902.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.