Estimation of Stochastic Volatility Models by Nonparametric Filtering
AbstractA two-step estimation method of stochastic volatility models is proposed: In the first step, we estimate the (unobserved) instantaneous volatility process using the estimator of Kristensen (2010, Econometric Theory 26). In the second step, standard estimation methods for fully observed diffusion processes are employed, but with the filtered volatility process replacing the latent process. Our estimation strategy is applicable to both parametric and nonparametric stochastic volatility models, and we give theoretical results for both. The resulting estimators of the drift and diffusion terms of the volatility model will carry additional biases and variances due to the first-step estimation, but under regularity conditions these vanish asymptotically and our estimators inherit the asymptotic properties of the infeasible estimators based on observations of the volatility process. A simulation study examines the finite-sample properties of the proposed estimators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus in its series CREATES Research Papers with number 2010-67.
Date of creation: 10 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.au.dk/afn/
Realized spot volatility; stochastic volatility; kernel estimation; nonparametric; semiparametric;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C58 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Financial Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-10-23 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2010-10-23 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2010-10-23 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dennis Kristensen & Andrew Ang, 2009.
"Testing Conditional Factor Models,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-09, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Bandi, Federico & Corradi, Valentina & Moloche, Guillermo, 2009. "Bandwidth selection for continuous-time Markov processes," MPRA Paper 43682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Federico M. Bandi & Roberto Reno, 2009. "Nonparametric Stochastic Volatility," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd08-035, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.