A note on non-parametric estimation with predicted variables
AbstractThis article gives the asymptotic properties of non-parametric kernel-based density and regression estimators when one of the variables is predicted. Such variables, also known as "constructed variables" or "generated predictors", occur quite frequently in econometric and applied economic analysis. The impact of using predicted rather than observed values on the properties of estimators has been extensively studied in the fully parametric context. The results derived here are applicable to the general situation in which the predictor is estimated using a consistent non-parametric method with standard convergence rates. Therefore, the presented results are, generally speaking, the asymptotics for semi-non-parametric two-step (or plug-in) estimation problems. The case of parametric estimation based on non-parametric predictors is also covered. Copyright � 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation � Royal Economic Society 2009
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jing Dai & Stefan Sperlich & Walter Zucchini, 2011. "Estimating and predicting the distribution of the number of visits to the medical doctor," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201148, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Jacho-Chávez, David T. & Lewbel, Arthur, 2014.
"Uniform convergence of weighted sums of non and semiparametric residuals for estimation and testing,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 178(P3), pages 426-443.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & David Jacho-Chavez & Arthur Lewbel, 2010. "Uniform Convergence of Weighted Sums of Non- and Semi-parametric Residuals for Estimation and Testing," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 756, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2012.
- Holger Dette & Stefan Hoderlein & Natalie Neumeyer, 2013.
"Testing Multivariate Economic Restrictions Using Quantiles: The Example of Slutsky Negative Semidefiniteness,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
836, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Holger Dette & Stefan Hoderlein & Natalie Neumeyer, 2011. "Testing multivariate economic restrictions using quantiles: the example of Slutsky negative semidefiniteness," CeMMAP working papers CWP14/11, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Patrick Saart & Jiti Gao, 2012. "Semiparametric Methods in Nonlinear Time Series Analysis: A Selective Review," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 21/12, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ying-Ying Lee, 2014. "Partial Mean Processes with Generated Regressors: Continuous Treatment Effects and Nonseparable Models," Economics Series Working Papers 706, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2013.
"Carbon dioxide emissions and governance: A nonparametric analysis for the G-20,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 110-118.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Carbon dioxide emissions and governance: A nonparametric analysis for the G-20," MPRA Paper 40387, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael Scholz & Stefan Sperlich & Jens Perch Nielsen, 2012. "Nonparametric prediction of stock returns with generated bond yields," Graz Economics Papers 2012-10, University of Graz, Department of Economics.
- Patrick W Saart & Jiti Gao & Nam Hyun Kim, 2014. "Econometric Time Series Specification Testing in a Class of Multiplicative Error Models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 1/14, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Jinyong Hahn & Geert Ridder, 2010. "The Asymptotic Variance of Semi-parametric Estimators with Generated Regressors," Textos para discussÃ£o 575, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Grant, Charles & Padula, Mario, 2013.
"Using bounds to investigate household debt repayment behaviour,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(4), pages 336-354.
- Charles Grant & Mario Padula, 2012. "Using Bounds to Investigate Household Debt Repayment Behaviour," CEDI Discussion Paper Series 12-06, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.