Connecting East Asia : A New Framework for Infrastructure
AbstractInfrastructure development has made a major contribution to East Asia's enviable record on growth and poverty reduction. However, substantial new investments in infrastructure and service delivery improvements will be required to sustain progress in the future, and to address new challenges posed by urbanization, decentralization, and regional integration. At the same time, questions have often been raised about the impact of infrastructure on the environment and local communities, about waste through corruption in public spending and private contracts, and about the appropriate roles of the public and private sectors in infrastructure financing, ownership, and management. These questions are the motivation for this study by the Asian Development Bank, the Japan Bank for International Cooperation, and the World Bank. The three agencies support infrastructure development through project financing and guarantees, as well as by assisting governments to put in place policies to improve public sector performance, and to attract private investment. Each agency will follow its own operational strategy in each country, but it is expected this new framework will enable taking a more coherent and consistent approach. By suggesting a "new framework" for infrastructure development in the region, Connecting East Asia presents an approach that will help avoid costly mistakes, and allow policy makers, development partners, nongovernmental organizations, and the public and private sectors to work together toward the successful provision of infrastructure. The report is organized around three main themes: inclusive development, coordination, and accountability and risk management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by The World Bank in its series World Bank Publications with number 7267 and published in 2005.
Banks and Banking Reform Infrastructure Economics and Finance - Infrastructure Regulation Agriculture - Agricultural Research Public Sector Economics and Finance Urban Development - Municipal Financial Management Finance and Financial Sector Development Public Sector Development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Sorge, 2004. "The nature of credit risk in project finance," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Kathie Krumm & Homi Kharas, 2004. "East Asia Integrates : A Trade Policy Agenda for Shared Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15038.
- Nigel James Miller & Christopher Tsoukis, 2001. "On the optimality of public capital for long-run economic growth: evidence from panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(9), pages 1117-1129.
- Enrique Crousillat, 1998. "Developing International Power Markets in East Asia," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11547, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sérgio, 1994.
"Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
885, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Easterly, William & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993. "Fiscal policy and economic growth: An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 417-458, December.
- William Easterly & Sergio Rebelo, 1994. "Fiscal Policy and Economic Growth: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 4499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mansuri, Ghazala & Rao, Vijayendra, 2004.
"Community-based (and driven) development : A critical review,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3209, The World Bank.
- Ghazala Mansuri, 2004. "Community-Based and -Driven Development: A Critical Review," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(1), pages 1-39.
- Fritzen, Scott, 2002. "Growth, inequality and the future of poverty reduction in Vietnam," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 635-657.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2005.
"The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c010_056, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Cesar A. Calderon & Luis Serven, 2014. "The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 521-534, November.
- Calderon, Cesar & Serven, Luis, 2004. "The effects of infrastructure development on growth and income distribution," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3400, The World Bank.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2004. "The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 270, Central Bank of Chile.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Fernald, 1997.
"Roads to prosperity? assessing the link between public capital and productivity,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
592, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John G. Fernald, 1999. "Roads to Prosperity? Assessing the Link between Public Capital and Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 619-638, June.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Vinaya Swaroop & Heng-fu Zou, 1996.
"The composition of public expenditure and economic growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
77, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Devarajan, Shantayanan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Heng-fu, Zou, 1996. "The composition of public expenditure and economic growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 313-344, April.
- A. Estache & M.E. Pinglo, 2005.
"Are returns to private infrastructure in developing countries consistent with risks since the Asian crisis?,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 6(1), pages 47-75, September.
- Antonio Estache & M.E. Pinglo, 2005. "Are Returns to Private Infrastructure in Developing Countries Consistent with Risks since the Asian Crisis," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44150, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Pinglo, Maria Elena, 2004. "Are returns to private infrastructure in developing countries consistent with risks since the Asian crisis?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3373, The World Bank.
- Ng, Francis & Yeats, Alexander, 2003. "Major trade trends in East Asia : what are their implications for regional cooperation and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3084, The World Bank.
- J. Luis Guasch, 2004. "Granting and Renegotiating Infrastructure Concessions : Doing it Right," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15024.
- Mao Xianqiang & Guo Xiurui, 2001. "Improving Air Quality in Chinese Cities by Substituting Natural Gas for Coal: Barriers and Incentive Policies," EEPSEA Research Report rr2001125, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Dec 2001.
- Yogita Mumssen, 2004. "Output-Based Aid in Cambodia : Private Operators and Local Communities Help Deliver Water to the Poor," World Bank Other Operational Studies 11049, The World Bank.
- Canning, David & Bennathan, Esra, 2000. "The social rate of return on infrastructure investments," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2390, The World Bank.
- Demetriades, Panicos O & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 2000. "Intertemporal Output and Employment Effects of Public Infrastructure Capital: Evidence from 12 OECD Economics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 687-712, July.
- Faguet, Jean-Paul, 2004. "Does decentralization increase government responsiveness to local needs?: Evidence from Bolivia," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 867-893, March.
- Jing Jin & Chunli Shen & Qian Wang & Heng-fu Zou, 2012. "Decentralization in China," CEMA Working Papers 546, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Ioannis N. Kessides, 2004. "Reforming Infrastructure : Privatization, Regulation, and Competition," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13525.
- Haruhiko Kuroda & Rajat Nag & Rita Nangia, 2006. "Building Asia’s Infrastructure: Issues and Options," Papers Presented at Global Meetings of the Emerging Markets Forum 2006asiainf, Emerging Markets Forum.
- Bhattacharyay, Biswa N., 2010.
"Estimating Demand for Infrastructure in Energy, Transport, Telecommunications, Water and Sanitation in Asia and the Pacific: 2010-2020,"
ADBI Working Papers
248, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Biswa Nath Bhattacharyay, 2010. "Estimating Demand for Infrastructure in Energy, Transport, Telecommunications, Water and Sanitation in Asia and the Pacific: 2010-2020," Working Papers id:2911, eSocialSciences.
- Zhang Yunling, . "Role of Regional Institutions in East Asia," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Siow Yue Chia, 2010. "Trade and Investment Policies and Regional Economic Integration in East Asia," Working Papers id:2993, eSocialSciences.
- John Malcolm Dowling & Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2005.
"Central Asia: Mapping Future Prospects,"
05-2006, Singapore Management University, School of Economics, revised Feb 2006.
- Magnoli Bocchi, Alessandro, 2008. "Rising growth, declining investment : the puzzle of the Philippines," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4472, The World Bank.
- AfDB, . "The Africa Competitiveness Report 2013," Africa Competitiveness Report, African Development Bank, number 456, 11.
- Richter, Kaspar, 2006. "Thailand's growth path : from recovery to prosperity," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3912, The World Bank.
- Lawrence Hass & Leonardo Mazzei & Donal O'Leary, 2007. "Setting Standards for Communication and Governance : The Example of Infrastructure Projects," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6709.
- Pitch Sutheerawatthana & Takayuki Minato, 2009. "The relation of technology to politics in infrastructure development: the chain phenomenon and its relation to sustainable development," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(4), pages 199-209.
- Patricia Clarke Annez & George E. Peterson, 2007. "Financing Cities : Fiscal Responsibility and Urban Infrastructure in Brazil, China, India, Poland and South Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6735.
- World Bank & Asian Development Bank, 2007. "Reducing Investment Climate Constraints to Higher Growth : Lao People's Democratic Republic Private Sector and Investment Climate Assessment," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7591, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Breineder).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.