Emerging infrastructure policy issues in developing countries - a survey of the recent economic literature
AbstractThe author reviews the recent economic research on emerging issues for infrastructure policies affecting poor people in developing countries. His main purpose is to identify some of the challenges the international community, and donors in particular, are likely to have to address over the next few years. He addresses six main issues: (1) the necessity of infrastructure in achieving the Millennium Development Goals; (2) the various dimensions of financing challenges for infrastructure; (3) the debate on the relative importance of urban and rural infrastructure needs; (4) the debate on the effectiveness of infrastructure decentralization; (5) what works and what does not when trying to target the needs of the poor, with an emphasis on affordability and regulation challenges; and (6) the importance of governance and corruption in the sector. The author concludes by showing how the challenges identified define a relatively well integrated agenda for both researchers and the international infrastructure community.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3442.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Health Economics&Finance; Decentralization; Banks&Banking Reform; Public Sector Economics&Finance; Environmental Economics&Policies; Banks&Banking Reform; Health Economics&Finance; Public Sector Economics&Finance; Environmental Economics&Policies; Poverty Assessment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Estache & V. Foster & Q. Wodon, 2002. "Accounting for Poverty in Infrastructure Reform: Learning from Latin America's Experience," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44108, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David Booth, 2003. "Introduction and Overview," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21(2), pages 131-159, 03.
- Mahani Zainal Abidin, 2010. "Fiscal Policy Coordination in Asia : East Asian Infrastructure Investment Fund," Macroeconomics Working Papers 21870, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Calzada, Joan & Iranzo Sancho, Susana, 2012. "Neither Private nor Public: The Effects of Communal Provision of Water on Child Health in Peru," Working Papers 2072/196649, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Steinbuks, J., 2008. "Financial constraints and firms' investment: results of a natural experiment measuring firm response to power interruption," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0844, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- François Bourguignon & Mark Sundberg, 2006. "Constraints to Achieving the MDGs with Scaled-Up Aid," Working Papers 15, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Nabli, Mustapha K. & Yousef, Tarik M., 2005. "Public infrastructure and private investment in the Middle East and North Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3661, The World Bank.
- Chatterjee, Santanu & Mahbub Morshed, A.K.M., 2011. "Reprint to: Infrastructure provision and macroeconomic performance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1405-1423, September.
- Chatterjee, Santanu & Mahbub Morshed, A.K.M., 2011. "Infrastructure provision and macroeconomic performance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1288-1306, August.
- Wodon, Quentin & Banerjee, Sudeshna & Diallo, Amadou Bassirou & Foster, Vivien, 2009. "Is low coverage of modern infrastructure services in African cities due to lack of demand or lack of supply ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4881, The World Bank.
- Banerjee, Sudeshna & Diallo, Amadou & Foster, Vivien & Wodon, Quentin, 2009. "Trends in household coverage of modern infrastructure services in Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4880, The World Bank.
- Dioikitopoulos, Evangelos V. & Kalyvitis, Sarantis, 2008. "Public capital maintenance and congestion: Long-run growth and fiscal policies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 3760-3779, December.
- Martimort, David & Straub, Stéphane, 2009. "Infrastructure privatization and changes in corruption patterns: The roots of public discontent," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 69-84, September.
- World Bank, 2007. "Ethiopia - Accelerating Equitable Growth : Country Economic Memorandum, Part 2. Thematic Chapters," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7866, The World Bank.
- Mahani Zainal Abidin, 2010. "Fiscal Policy Coordination in Asia: East Asian Infrastructure Investment Fund," Working Papers id:2960, eSocialSciences.
- David Martimort & Stephane Straub, 2006. "Privatization and Changes in Corruption Patterns: The Roots of Public Discontent," ESE Discussion Papers 147, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Solanko, Laura, 2006. "Essays on Russia’s Economic Transition," Scientific Monographs E:36/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Knight-John, Malathy, 2005. "Regulatory Impact Assessment: A Tool for Improved Regulatory Governance in Sri Lanka?," Centre on Regulation and Competition (CRC) Working papers 30626, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Kartasheva, Anastasia V., 2012. "Design of investment promotion policies," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 127-136.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.