Transport infrastructure and foreign direct investment
AbstractThis paper analyses the role of infrastructure availability, particularly with respect to transportation, in improving the investment climate for and in determining the attractiveness of foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows. The study is initially based on the small island developing state of Mauritius for the period 1960-2004. Using an ARDL approach, transport infrastructure availability is seen to have contributed to the relative attractiveness of the country towards FDI and such is also the case for non-transport infrastructure. Moreover, the presence of dynamism and endogeneity is also established in FDI modelling. The analysis was then extended for the case of a sample of 20 African economies over the period 1986-2000. Using panel data framework, the fixed effect model estimated a positive and significant coefficient for transport infrastructure, implying that foreign direct investors are sensitive to transport capital. The other type of infrastructure is also judged to be important by these investors, though to a slightly lesser extent than transport. These findings supplement the existing literature on the determinant of FDI. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 22 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jameel Khadaroo & Boopen Seetanah, 2008. "Transport and Economic Performance: The Case of Mauritius," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 42(2), pages 255-267, May.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000.
"How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 63, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?," NBER Working Papers 6030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & JLi Zhang, 2006.
"Are Government Policies More Important Than Taxation in Attracting FDI,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0614, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & JLi Zhang, 2007. "Are Government Policies More Important Than Taxation in Attracting FDI?," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0702, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 2000. "Public Capital and Output Growth in Portugal - An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 00/11, International Monetary Fund.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 1994.
"The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 22-37, February.
- Nadiri, M. Ishaq & Mamuneas, Theofanis P., 1991. "The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 91-57, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Theofanis P. Mamuneas, 1994. "The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries," NBER Working Papers 3887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, June.
- John Dunning, 1981. "Explaining the international direct investment position of countries: Towards a dynamic or developmental approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 117(1), pages 30-64, March.
- Khalid Sekkat & Marie-Ange Veganzones, 2005. "Trade and foreign exchange liberalization, investment climate and FDI in the MENA," DULBEA Working Papers 05-06.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- repec:fth:inseep:9645 is not listed on IDEAS
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Hanson, Gordon H., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment and relative wages: Evidence from Mexico's maquiladoras,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-4), pages 371-393, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment and Relative Wages: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladoras," NBER Working Papers 5122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-67, July.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y. & Smith, R. J., 1996. "Testing for the 'Existence of a Long-run Relationship'," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9622, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Akinlo, A. Enisan, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and growth in Nigeria: An empirical investigation," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 627-639, July.
- De Gregorio, Jose, 1992.
"Economic growth in Latin America,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 59-84, July.
- Scaperlanda, Anthony E & Mauer, Laurence J, 1969. "The Determinants of U.S. Direct Investment in the E.E.C," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 558-68, Part I Se.
- Savoiu, Gheorghe & Dinu, Vasile & Ciuca, Suzana, 2013. "Foreign Direct Investment based on Country Risk and other Macroconomic Factors. Econometric Models for Romanian Economy," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 39-61, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.