Trade and foreign exchange liberalization, investment climate and FDI in the MENA countries
AbstractThe paper assess the relative importance of trade and foreign exchange liberalization, infrastructure availability and economic and political stability in increasing Middle East and North African (MENA) countries attractiveness with respect to FDI. The analysis is conducted for total FDI and for FDI in manufacturing. The results show that trade and foreign exchange liberalization, infrastructure availability and sound economic and political conditions increase FDI inflows. Their effects are much higher for FDI in the manufacturing sector than for total FDI. This result is robust to alternative indicators of trade and foreign exchange liberalization, and to change in the specification. The message to MENA’s policy makers is twofold. First, efforts toward trade and foreign exchange liberalization should be initiated or further increased in order to make the region attractive to foreign investors. Second improvements in other aspects of the investment climate are important complements to liberalization and result in additional and sensitive increase of FDI inflows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers CEB with number 04-023.RS.
Length: 22 p.
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by: Centre Emile Bernheim, Bruxelles
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Reforms; MENA; FDI.;
Other versions of this item:
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS & SEKKAT, 2004. "Trade and Foreign Exchange Liberalization,Investment Climate, and FDI in the MENA Countries," Working Papers 200430, CERDI.
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-02-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2006-02-05 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2006-02-05 (International Finance)
- NEP-INT-2006-02-05 (International Trade)
- NEP-LAW-2006-02-05 (Law & Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Lahcen Achy & Khalid Sekkat, 2003. "The European Single Currency and MENA's Exports to Europe," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 563-582, November.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997.
"How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
63, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 2000. "How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Shang-Jin Wei, 1997. "How Taxing is Corruption on International Investors?," NBER Working Papers 6030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mauro, Paolo, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712, August.
- Grubert, Harry & Mutti, John, 1991. "Taxes, Tariffs and Transfer Pricing in Multinational Corporate Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 285-93, May.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Robert E. Lipsey & Mario Zejan, 1992. "What Explains Developing Country Growth?," NBER Working Papers 4132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ulb:ulbeco:2013/7352 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995.
"Economic Reform and the Process of Global Integration,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(1, 25th A), pages 1-118.
- Jeffrey Sachs & Andrew Warner, 1995. "Economic Reform and the Progress of Global Integration," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1733, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Root, Franklin R & Ahmed, Ahmed A, 1979. "Empirical Determinants of Manufacturing Direct Foreign Investment in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 751-67, July.
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- W. J. Henisz, 2000. "The Institutional Environment for Economic Growth," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 1-31, 03.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Gastanaga, Victor M. & Nugent, Jeffrey B. & Pashamova, Bistra, 1998. "Host Country Reforms and FDI Inflows: How Much Difference do they Make?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1299-1314, July.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000.
"Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?,"
UNCTAD Discussion Papers
146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005. "Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Kolstad, Charles D., 1994.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty,"
Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University
94-23, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Goldberg, Linda S & Kolstad, Charles D, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(4), pages 855-73, November.
- Linda S. Goldberg & Charles D. Kolstad, 1994. "Foreign Direct Investment, Exchange Rate Variability and Demand Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 4815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Dunning, 1981. "Explaining the international direct investment position of countries: Towards a dynamic or developmental approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 117(1), pages 30-64, March.
- Khalid Sekkat & Aristomene Varoudakis, 2002. "The impact of exchange and trade policy reforms on manufactured exports in North Africa," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7348, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS & Mustapha Kamel NABLI, 2004. "Reforms and Growth in MENA Countries:New Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 200431, CERDI.
- Lucas, Robert E. B., 1993. "On the determinants of direct foreign investment: Evidence from East and Southeast Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 391-406, March.
- Henisz, Witold J, 2000. "The Institutional Environment for Multinational Investment," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 334-64, October.
- Schneider, Friedrich & Frey, Bruno S., 1985. "Economic and political determinants of foreign direct investment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 161-175, February.
- Heather D. Gibson & Thomas Vlassopoulo, 2007.
"Capital Folws, capital account liberalisation and the southern Mediterranean countries,"
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 60(241), pages 137-165.
- Heather D. Gibson & Thomas Vlassopoulo, 2007. "Capital Folws, capital account liberalisation and the southern Mediterranean countries," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 60(241), pages 137-165.
- Miria Pigato, 2009. "Strengthening China's and India's Trade and Investment Ties to the Middle East and North Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2626.
- Hisarciklilar, Mehtap & Kayam, Saime Suna & Kayalica, Ozgur, 2006. "Locational Drivers of FDI in MENA Countries: A Spatial Attempt," MPRA Paper 2085, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniele, Vittorio & Marani, Ugo, 2006. "Do institutions matter for FDI? A comparative analysis for the MENA countries," MPRA Paper 2426, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heather D. Gibson & Nicholas T. Tsaveas & Thomas Vlassopoulos, 2006. "Capital Flows, Capital Account Liberalisation and the Mediterranean Countries," Working Papers 33, Bank of Greece.
- Abid, Fathi & Bahloul, Slah, 2011. "Selected MENA countries' attractiveness to G7 investors," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(5), pages 2197-2207, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.