Poverty alleviation and the industrial employment of women (the case of Nepal)
AbstractThis paper analyses the Nepalese industrial labour market using macroeconomic data and explores a strategy for poverty reduction along with the promotion of industrial employment of women. It concludes that basic poverty indices for Nepal are highly dependent on the capital labour ratio (CLR) and the growth rate of wages in the industrial sector. Moreover, the growth of women's employment in manufacturing industries supports the reduction of the poverty gap (PG) and income inequality among the poor as well as among the whole population. Furthermore, the two major Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), poverty reduction and the promotion of women's employment in the industrial sector, are proved complementary to each other. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 20 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjaya Acharya, 2004. "Measuring and Analyzing Poverty," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 1(2), pages 195-215, December.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2000. "Gender Inequality and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1211-1230, July.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Beneria, Lourdes, 1992. "Accounting for women's work: the progress of two decades," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(11), pages 1547-1560, November.
- Picchio,Antonella, 1992. "Social Reproduction," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521418720, November.
- Menon, Nidhiya & van der Meulen Rodgers, Yana, 2011.
"War and Women's Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6209, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Menon, Nidhiya & Rodgers, Yana van der Meulen, 2011. "War and women's work : evidence from the conflict in Nepal," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5745, The World Bank.
- Nidhiya Menon & Yana van der Meulen Rodgers, 2011. "War and Women’s Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal," HiCN Working Papers 104, Households in Conflict Network.
- Nidhiya Menon & Yana van der Meulen Rodgers, 2010. "War and Women’s Work: Evidence from the Conflict in Nepal," Working Papers 19, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.