Implications of market and coordination failures for rural development in least developed countries
AbstractMarket failures affecting economic growth in poor rural areas are firmly on the agenda but for goods and services with private good characteristics are generally not conceptualized and understood in ways that help policy analysis and formulation to recognize and address these failures. We need greater recognition and understanding of the causes and nature of coordination failures that lead to these market failures. This paper examines core features of poor rural areas, the nature of coordination problems faced by different potential economic actors, the impacts of these problems on markets and economic development and ways that these have been addressed or ignored in different policies and policy approaches in Asia and Africa. We conclude by drawing out the implications for policies seeking to promote pro-poor economic growth in poor rural areas today. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Other versions of this item:
- Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2006. "Implications of Market and Coordination Failures for Rural Development in Least Developed Countries," Working Papers id:762, eSocialSciences.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Block, Steven A., 1995. "The recovery of agricultural productivity in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 385-405, October.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Morrison, Jamie & Urey, Ian, 2002.
"A Policy Agenda For Pro Poor Agricultural Growth,"
ADU Working Papers
10923, Imperial College at Wye, Department of Agricultural Sciences.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas. & Johnson, Michael., 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
Food policy reports
10, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gaur, Sanjay, 1997. "Adelman and Morris factor analysis of developing countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 407-415, August.
- Adelman, Irma & Morris, Cynthia Taft, 1997. "Editorial: Development history and its implications for development theory," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 831-840, June.
- Andrew Dorward & Nigel Poole & Jamie Morrison & Jonathan Kydd & Ian Urey, 2003. "Markets, Institutions and Technology: Missing Links in Livelihoods Analysis," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 319-332, 05.
- Hall, Peter A. & Soskice, David (ed.), 2001. "Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247752.
- de Meza, David & Gould, J R, 1992. "The Social Efficiency of Private Decisions to Enforce Property Rights," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 561-80, June.
- Andrew Dorward, 2001. "The Effects of Transaction Costs, Power and Risk on Contractual Arrangements: A Conceptual Framework for Quantitative Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 59-73.
- Poulton, Colin & Gibbon, Peter & Hanyani-Mlambo, Benjamine & Kydd, Jonathan & Maro, Wilbald & Larsen, Marianne Nylandsted & Osorio, Afonso & Tschirley, David & Zulu, Ballard, 2004. "Competition and Coordination in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-536, March.
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Mwanaumo, A. & Nyoro, J. K. & Chapoto, A., 2002. "False Promise or False Premise? The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1967-1985, November.
- Spielman, David J. & Byerlee, Derek & Alemu, Dawit & Kelemework, Dawit, 2010. "Policies to promote cereal intensification in Ethiopia: The search for appropriate public and private roles," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 185-194, June.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2011.
"Agriculture and development : a brief review of the literature,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5553, The World Bank.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2012. "Agriculture and development: A brief review of the literature," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 175-205.
- Shiferaw, Bekele & Obare, Gideon & Muricho, Geoffrey, 2006. "Rural institutions and producer organizations in imperfect markets: experiences from producer marketing groups in semi-arid eastern Kenya," CAPRi working papers 60, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Birner, Regina & Resnick, Danielle, 2010. "The Political Economy of Policies for Smallholder Agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1442-1452, October.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin & Bezemer, Dirk, 2007.
"Coordination risk and cost impacts on economic development in poor rural areas,"
7028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew Dorward & Jonathan Kydd & Colin Poulton & Dirk Bezemer, 2009. "Coordination Risk and Cost Impacts on Economic Development in Poor Rural Areas," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 1093-1112.
- Fletcher Tembo, 2004. "NGDOs' role in building poor people's capacity to benefit from globalization," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(7), pages 1023-1037.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen & Maertens, Miet, 2007. "Governance and Surplus Distribution in Commodity Value Chains in Africa," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7950, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Eaton, Derek J.F. & Meijerink, Gerdien W. & Bijman, Jos & Belt, John, 2007. "Analysing the role of institutional arrangements: vegetable value chains in East Africa," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7921, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Christian K.M. Kingombe and Salvatore di Falco, 2012. "The Impact of a Feeder Road Project on Cash Crop Production in Zambia’s Eastern Province between 1997 and 2002," IHEID Working Papers 04-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 28 Feb 2012.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2003. "Policy Reform in Sub Saharan Africa," Policy Reform and Adjustment Workshop, October 23-25, 2003, Imperial College London, Wye Campus 15749, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Yu, Bingxin & Fan, Shenggen & Mcbride, Linden, 2012. "The impacts of public investment in and for agriculture: Synthesis of the existing evidence," IFPRI discussion papers 1217, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin, 2004. "Market and Coordination Failures in Poor Rural Economies: Policy Implications for Agricultural and Rural Development," 2004 Inaugural Symposium, December 6-8, 2004, Nairobi, Kenya 9535, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Raballand, Gael & Macchi, Patricia & Merotto, Dino & Petracco, Carly, 2009. "Revising the roads investment strategy in rural areas : an application for Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5036, The World Bank.
- Felix Groba & Barbara Breitschopf, 2013. "Impact of Renewable Energy Policy and Use on Innovation: A Literature Review," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1318, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Spielman, David J., 2007. "Pro-poor agricultural biotechnology: Can the international research system deliver the goods?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-204, April.
- Kane, Sam & Eicher, Carl K., 2004. "Foreign Aid And The African Farmer," Staff Papers 11602, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Byerlee, Derek & Spielman, David J. & Alemu, Dawit & Gautam, Madhur, 2007. "Policies to promote cereal intensification in Ethiopia: A review of evidence and experience," IFPRI discussion papers 707, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.