Implications of market and coordination failures for rural development in least developed countries
AbstractMarket failures affecting economic growth in poor rural areas are firmly on the agenda but for goods and services with private good characteristics are generally not conceptualized and understood in ways that help policy analysis and formulation to recognize and address these failures. We need greater recognition and understanding of the causes and nature of coordination failures that lead to these market failures. This paper examines core features of poor rural areas, the nature of coordination problems faced by different potential economic actors, the impacts of these problems on markets and economic development and ways that these have been addressed or ignored in different policies and policy approaches in Asia and Africa. We conclude by drawing out the implications for policies seeking to promote pro-poor economic growth in poor rural areas today. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Other versions of this item:
- Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2006. "Implications of Market and Coordination Failures for Rural Development in Least Developed Countries," Working Papers id:762, eSocialSciences.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Andrew Dorward, 2001. "The Effects of Transaction Costs, Power and Risk on Contractual Arrangements: A Conceptual Framework for Quantitative Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 59-73.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Mwanaumo, A. & Nyoro, J. K. & Chapoto, A., 2002. "False Promise or False Premise? The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1967-1985, November.
- Adelman, Irma & Morris, Cynthia Taft, 1997. "Editorial: Development history and its implications for development theory," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 831-840, June.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas & Johnson, Michael, 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
2, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Hall, Peter A. & Soskice, David (ed.), 2001. "Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247752, Octomber.
- Gaur, Sanjay, 1997. "Adelman and Morris factor analysis of developing countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 407-415, August.
- Andrew Dorward & Nigel Poole & Jamie Morrison & Jonathan Kydd & Ian Urey, 2003. "Markets, Institutions and Technology: Missing Links in Livelihoods Analysis," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 319-332, 05.
- Poulton, Colin & Gibbon, Peter & Hanyani-Mlambo, Benjamine & Kydd, Jonathan & Maro, Wilbald & Larsen, Marianne Nylandsted & Osorio, Afonso & Tschirley, David & Zulu, Ballard, 2004. "Competition and Coordination in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-536, March.
- Block, Steven A., 1995. "The recovery of agricultural productivity in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 385-405, October.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Morrison, Jamie & Urey, Ian, 2002.
"A Policy Agenda For Pro Poor Agricultural Growth,"
ADU Working Papers
10923, Imperial College at Wye, Department of Agricultural Sciences.
- de Meza, David & Gould, J R, 1992. "The Social Efficiency of Private Decisions to Enforce Property Rights," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 561-80, June.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2003. "Policy Reform in Sub Saharan Africa," Policy Reform and Adjustment Workshop, October 23-25, 2003, Imperial College London, Wye Campus 15749, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Spielman, David J. & Byerlee, Derek & Alemu, Dawit & Kelemework, Dawit, 2010. "Policies to promote cereal intensification in Ethiopia: The search for appropriate public and private roles," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 185-194, June.
- Eaton, Derek J.F. & Meijerink, Gerdien W. & Bijman, Jos & Belt, John, 2007. "Analysing the role of institutional arrangements: vegetable value chains in East Africa," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7921, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fletcher Tembo, 2004. "NGDOs' role in building poor people's capacity to benefit from globalization," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(7), pages 1023-1037.
- Spielman, David J., 2007. "Pro-poor agricultural biotechnology: Can the international research system deliver the goods?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 189-204, April.
- Christian K.M. Kingombe & Salvatore di Falco, 2012. "Labour Market and Fiscal Policy," IHEID Working Papers 04-2012, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 28 Feb 2012.
- Spielman, David J. & Kelemwork, Dawit & Alemu, Dawit, 2011. "Seed, fertilizer, and agricultural extension in Ethiopia:," ESSP working papers 20, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin, 2004. "Market and Coordination Failures in Poor Rural Economies: Policy Implications for Agricultural and Rural Development," 2004 Inaugural Symposium, December 6-8, 2004, Nairobi, Kenya 9535, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Spielman, David J. & Kolady, Deepthi E. & Cavalieri, Anthony & Rao, N. Chandrasekhara, 2014.
"The seed and agricultural biotechnology industries in India: An analysis of industry structure, competition, and policy options,"
Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 88-100.
- Spielman, David J. & Kolady, Deepthi & Cavalieri, Anthony & Chandrasekhara Rao, N., 2011. "The seed and agricultural biotechnology industries in India: An analysis of industry structure, competition, and policy options," IFPRI discussion papers 1103, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Raballand, Gael & Macchi, Patricia & Merotto, Dino & Petracco, Carly, 2009. "Revising the roads investment strategy in rural areas : an application for Uganda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5036, The World Bank.
- Swinnen, Johan F.M. & Vandeplas, Anneleen & Maertens, Miet, 2007. "Governance and Surplus Distribution in Commodity Value Chains in Africa," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7950, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Felix Groba & Barbara Breitschopf, 2013. "Impact of Renewable Energy Policy and Use on Innovation: A Literature Review," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1318, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Andrew Dorward & Jonathan Kydd & Colin Poulton & Dirk Bezemer, 2009.
"Coordination Risk and Cost Impacts on Economic Development in Poor Rural Areas,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 1093-1112.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin & Bezemer, Dirk, 2007. "Coordination risk and cost impacts on economic development in poor rural areas," MPRA Paper 7028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shiferaw, Bekele & Obare, Gideon & Muricho, Geoffrey, 2006. "Rural institutions and producer organizations in imperfect markets: experiences from producer marketing groups in semi-arid eastern Kenya," CAPRi working papers 60, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chibwana, Christopher & Shively, Gerald & Fisher, Monica & Jumbe, Charles & Masters, William, 2014. "Measuring the impacts of Malawiâ€™s farm input subsidy programme," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 9(2), April.
- Kane, Sam & Eicher, Carl K., 2004. "Foreign Aid And The African Farmer," Staff Papers 11602, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Makorere, Robert, 2. "An Exploration Of Factors Affecting Development Of Citrus Industry In Tanzania: Empirical Evidence From Muheza District, Tanga Region," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(2).
- Birner, Regina & Resnick, Danielle, 2010. "The Political Economy of Policies for Smallholder Agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1442-1452, October.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2012.
"Agriculture and development: A brief review of the literature,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 175-205.
- Dethier, Jean-Jacques & Effenberger, Alexandra, 2011. "Agriculture and development : a brief review of the literature," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5553, The World Bank.
- Byerlee, Derek & Spielman, David J. & Alemu, Dawit & Gautam, Madhur, 2007. "Policies to promote cereal intensification in Ethiopia: A review of evidence and experience," IFPRI discussion papers 707, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Yu, Bingxin & Fan, Shenggen & Mcbride, Linden, 2012. "The impacts of public investment in and for agriculture: Synthesis of the existing evidence," IFPRI discussion papers 1217, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.