Export market participation, spillovers, and foreign direct investment in Australian food manufacturing
AbstractGenerating a more outward looking sector has been one of the principal aims of agrifood policy in Australia for the past two decades. Australia's proximity to fast-growing economies of East Asia has been seen as a major source for export growth. Over the same time span, there has been an increase in foreign ownership in the food sector. Using a firm-level data set for 2005, we characterize the probability that a firm participates in exporting by a set of firm characteristics, including foreign ownership and spillovers from foreign-owned firms, and find that foreign ownership neither increases nor decreases the probability that a firm will be involved in exporting. [EconLit citations: Q170, Q130]. © 2010 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Yeaple, Stephen Ross, 2003. "The complex integration strategies of multinationals and cross country dependencies in the structure of foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 293-314, August.
- Duenas-Caparas, Maria Teresa S., 2006. "Determinants of Export Performance in the Philippine Manufacturing Sector," Discussion Papers DP 2006-18, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- repec:dgr:unuint:200101 is not listed on IDEAS
- Frances Ruane & Julie Sutherland, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Export Spillovers: How Do Export Platforms Fare?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp058, IIIS.
- Alessandro Sterlacchini, 2001. "The determinants of export performance: A firm-level study of Italian manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(3), pages 450-472, September.
- G. Anastassopoulos & W. B. Traill, 1998. "Determinants of foreign entry strategies in Greek food industry," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 267-279.
- Ari Kokko & Mario Zejan & Ruben Tansini, 2001. "Trade regimes and spillover effects of FDI: Evidence from Uruguay," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 124-149, March.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005.
"Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data,"
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005. "Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data," HWWA Discussion Papers 319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Kravis, Irving B. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1982.
"The location of overseas production and production for export by U.S. multinational firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 201-223, May.
- Irving B. Kravis & Robert E. Lipsey, 1982. "The Location of Overseas Production and Production for Export by U.S. Multinational Firms," NBER Working Papers 0482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ma. Teresa S. DueÃƒÂ±as-Caparas, 2006. "Determinants of Export Performance in the Philippine Manufacturing Sector," Microeconomics Working Papers 22042, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Massimo Motta & George Norman, 1993.
"Does economic integration cause foreign direct investment?,"
Economics Working Papers
28, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Motta, Massimo & Norman, George, 1996. "Does Economic Integration Cause Foreign Direct Investment?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(4), pages 757-83, November.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- repec:pri:wwseco:142 is not listed on IDEAS
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2004.
"Optimal Integration: Strategies for the Multinational Firm,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2006. "Optimal integration strategies for the multinational firm," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 216-238, September.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," NBER Working Papers 10189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2024, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," Working Papers 142, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics..
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997.
""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience","
97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- J Bradford Jensen & Andrew B Bernard, 2001.
"Why Some Firms Export,"
01-05, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Gordon H. Hanson & Raymond J. Mataloni, Jr. & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2001.
"Expansion Strategies of U.S. Multinational Firms,"
NBER Working Papers
8433, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2004. "Export-oriented FDI in the UK," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(3), pages 424-439, Autumn.
- Ganeshan Wignaraja, 2002.
"Firm Size, Technological Capabilities and Market-oriented Policies in Mauritius,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 87-104.
- Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2007. "Industrial Linkages and Export Spillovers from FDI," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 105-134, 01.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Salvador Barrios & Holger Goerg & Eric Strobl, 2003.
"Explaining Firms' Export Behaviour: R&D, Spillovers and the Destination Market,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 475-496, 09.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & GÖRG, Holger & STROBL, Eric, . "Explaining firms' export behaviour: R&D, spillovers and the destination market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1654, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sanjaya Lall, . "Export Performance and Competitiveness in the Philippines," QEH Working Papers qehwps49, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- M. Giulietti & S. Mccorriston & P. Osborne, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in the UK: evidence from a disaggregated panel of the UK food sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(7), pages 653-663.
- Andrew P Blake & Nigel Pain, . "Investigating structural changes in UK export performance: the role of innovation and direct investment," NIESR Discussion Papers 71, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Peter Drysdale & Weiguo Lu, 1996. "Australia's Export Performance in East Asia," Asia Pacific Economic Papers 259, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Greenaway, David & Sousa, Nuno & Wakelin, Katharine, 2004. "Do domestic firms learn to export from multinationals?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 1027-1043, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.