Food consumption in the European Union: Main determinants and country differences
AbstractConsumers in the European Union are involved in integration processes that head towards homogenization of food consumption patterns. Several factors are encouraging these homogenization trends based on consumers' similarities and corporate activities. In this article a review of the food consumption structure, across European Union countries, is undertaken. First, food consumption trends in different countries are described and, second, factors, which determine consumer choices, are presented. Despite the fact that European consumers face more homogeneous food market conditions, food consumption differences exist because preferences and food habits are still different among European consumers, and the market is fragmented (EconLit: L660). © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1993.
"Food Safety/Food Quality Data,"
Emerging Data Issues in Food Demand Analysis, Proceedings of the S216 Workshop, October 1993, Regional Research Project S-278 Food Demand, Nutrition and Consumer Behavior
11849, Regional Research Project S-278 Food Demand, Nutrition and Consumer Behavior.
- Helen H. JENSEN & Peter BASIOTIS, 1993. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Emerging Data Issues in Applied Food Demand Analysis;, S216, Food Demand and Consumption Behavior Regional Committee s21693jens01, S216, Food Demand and Consumption Behavior Regional Committee.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P., 1995. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Staff General Research Papers, Iowa State University, Department of Economics 10441, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P., 1995. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Staff General Research Papers, Iowa State University, Department of Economics 842, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ernest Reig Martínez, 1992. "Estructura del consumo alimentario y desarrollo económico," Working Papers. Serie EC, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 1992-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Blandford, David, 1984. "Changes in Food Consumption Patterns in the OECD Area," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 11(1), pages 43-64.
- Venturini, Luciano, 2003. "The Food System In Transition: An E.U. Perspective," Working Papers, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy 14362, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Cristina Marreiros & M. Raquel Lucas & Kerstin Röhrich, 2010. "Explaining organic food choice on the basis of socio-demographics.A study in Portugal and Germany," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2010_03, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Thiele, S. & Weiss, C., 2003. "Consumer demand for food diversity: evidence for Germany," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 99-115, April.
- Dan A. Petrovici & Christopher Ritson & Mitchell Ness, 2005. "Exploring disparities and similarities in European food consumption patterns," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 75, pages 24-49.
- Istvan Konya & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2005.
"International Consumption Patterns among High-income Countries: Evidence from the OECD Data,"
CIRJE F-Series, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo
CIRJE-F-327, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- István Kónya & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2007. "International Consumption Patterns among High-income Countries: Evidence from the OECD Data," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 744-757, 09.
- Prof. Dr. Hesse, Klaus & Dr. Hoffmann, Claudia & Dr. Thiele, Silke, 2002. "Änderungen der Struktur der Nachfrage nach Nahrungs-und Genußmitteln privater Haushalte und deren Bedeutung für die Ernährungs- und Agrarwirtschaft Schleswig-Holsteins," FE Working Papers 0302, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Contini, Caterina & Casini, Leonardo & Fabbrizzi, Sara & Travaglini, Irene, 2011. "Future Scenarios of the Food System: Insights from the Consumers’ Perspective," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks 122008, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Vecchio, Riccardo & Annunziata, Azzurra, 2011. "The role of PDO/PGI labelling in Italian consumersâ€™ food choices," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 12(2), June.
- Marreiros, Cristina & Ness, Mitchell, 2002. "Perceptions of PDO Beef: The Portuguese Consumer," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain, European Association of Agricultural Economists 24869, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Margherita Gerolimetto & Christine Mauracher, 2013. "Analysis Of Food Consumption In Europe Via Time Series Clustering," RIEDS - Rivista Italiana di Economia, Demografia e Statistica - Italian Review of Economics, Demography and Statistics, SIEDS Societa' Italiana di Economia Demografia e Statistica, vol. 0(3-4), pages 143-150, July-Dece.
- Angulo, Ana Maria & Mtimet, Nadhem & Gil, Jose Maria, 2008. "AnÃ¡lisis de la demanda de alimentos en EspaÃ±a considerando el impacto de la dieta sobre la salud," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(2).
- Haydar Sengul & Seda Sengul, 2006. "Food consumption and economic development in Turkey and European Union countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2421-2431.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.