Food consumption in the European Union: Main determinants and country differences
AbstractConsumers in the European Union are involved in integration processes that head towards homogenization of food consumption patterns. Several factors are encouraging these homogenization trends based on consumers' similarities and corporate activities. In this article a review of the food consumption structure, across European Union countries, is undertaken. First, food consumption trends in different countries are described and, second, factors, which determine consumer choices, are presented. Despite the fact that European consumers face more homogeneous food market conditions, food consumption differences exist because preferences and food habits are still different among European consumers, and the market is fragmented (EconLit: L660). © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 17 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P., 1995.
"Food Safety/Food Quality Data,"
Staff General Research Papers
10441, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1993. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Emerging Data Issues in Food Demand Analysis, Proceedings of the S216 Workshop, October 1993 11849, Regional Research Project S-278 Food Demand, Nutrition and Consumer Behavior.
- Helen H. JENSEN & Peter BASIOTIS, 1993. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Emerging Data Issues in Applied Food Demand Analysis; s21693jens01, S216, Food Demand and Consumption Behavior Regional Committee.
- Jensen, Helen H. & Basiotis, P., 1995. "Food Safety/Food Quality Data," Staff General Research Papers 842, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Blandford, David, 1984. "Changes in Food Consumption Patterns in the OECD Area," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 11(1), pages 43-64.
- Ernest Reig Martínez, 1992. "Estructura del consumo alimentario y desarrollo económico," Working Papers. Serie EC 1992-02, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Angulo, Ana Maria & Mtimet, Nadhem & Gil, Jose Maria, 2008. "AnÃ¡lisis de la demanda de alimentos en EspaÃ±a considerando el impacto de la dieta sobre la salud," Economia Agraria y Recursos Naturales, Spanish Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 8(2).
- Dan A. Petrovici & Christopher Ritson & Mitchell Ness, 2005. "Exploring disparities and similarities in European food consumption patterns," Cahiers d'Economie et Sociologie Rurales, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 75, pages 24-49.
- Marreiros, Cristina & Ness, Mitchell, 2002. "Perceptions of PDO Beef: The Portuguese Consumer," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24869, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Contini, Caterina & Casini, Leonardo & Fabbrizzi, Sara & Travaglini, Irene, 2011. "Future Scenarios of the Food System: Insights from the Consumers’ Perspective," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122008, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Haydar Sengul & Seda Sengul, 2006. "Food consumption and economic development in Turkey and European Union countries," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(20), pages 2421-2431.
- Prof. Dr. Hesse, Klaus & Dr. Hoffmann, Claudia & Dr. Thiele, Silke, 2002. "Änderungen der Struktur der Nachfrage nach Nahrungs-und Genußmitteln privater Haushalte und deren Bedeutung für die Ernährungs- und Agrarwirtschaft Schleswig-Holsteins," FE Working Papers 0302, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Cristina Marreiros & M. Raquel Lucas & Kerstin Röhrich, 2010. "Explaining organic food choice on the basis of socio-demographics.A study in Portugal and Germany," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2010_03, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Thiele, S. & Weiss, C., 2003. "Consumer demand for food diversity: evidence for Germany," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 99-115, April.
- Venturini, Luciano, 2003. "The Food System In Transition: An E.U. Perspective," Working Papers 14362, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.