Preferences for crop insurance when farmers are diversified
AbstractThe government intends to rely on an insurance-based solution to yield risk. Therefore, it is important to identify which characteristics most affect a grower's decision regarding whether or not to use crop insurance. This case study uses California cross-sectional survey data to directly compare the relative effects of three types of characteristics that are expected to influence insurance preferences. In general, results from the model estimated indicate that preferences for crop insurance are a function of the commodities produced and the risk environment faced by individual growers. © 1996 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liapis, Peter S. & Moffitt, L. Joe, 1983. "Economic Analysis Of Cotton Integrated Pest Management Strategies," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Blank, Steven C., 1990. "Returns To Limited Crop Diversification," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(02), December.
- Bernard V. Tew & Donald W. Reid & Giles T. Rafsnider, 1992. "Rational Mean-Variance Decisions for Subsistence Farmers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(6), pages 840-845, June.
- Knight, Thomas O. & Lovell, Ashley C. & Rister, M. Edward & Coble, Keith H., 1989. "An Analysis Of Lenders' Influence On Agricultural Producers' Risk Management Decisions," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Ali, Jabir & Kapoor, Sanjeev, 2008. "Farmers' perception on risks in fruits and vegetables production: an empirical study of Uttar Pradesh," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 21(2008).
- H. Douglas Jose & Ram S. K. Valluru, 1997. "Insights from the Crop Insurance Reform Act of 1994," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 587-598.
- Geoffroy Enjolras & Patrick Sentis, 2008.
"The main determinants of insurance purchase. An empirical study on crop insurance policies in France,"
08-06, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Apr 2008.
- Enjolras, Geoffroy & Sentis, P., 2008. "The Main Determinants of Insurance Purchase: An Empirical Study on Crop Insurance Policies in France," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mohammed, M.A. & Ortmann, Gerald F., 2005. "Factors influencing adoption of livestock insurance by commercial dairy farmers in three Zobatat of Eritrea," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 44(2), June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.