Climate Policy Design with Correlated Uncertainties in Offset Supply and Abatement Cost
AbstractEmission offsets within cap-and-trade systems are widely believed to contain system costs and stabilize allowance prices. However, trends in offsets supply are uncertain, may be persistent, and may be correlated with other sources of uncertainty. In a dynamic stochastic model we find total costs increase, as does variability in allowance prices and emissions, as uncertainty in offsets becomes more persistent and, to a lesser extent, becomes negatively correlated with uncertainty in abatement costs. These results are amplified with risk sensitivity, larger annual offset limits, and competitive offset purchasing. Imposing an allowance price collar can mitigate cost increases and price variability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 88 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Other versions of this item:
- Fell, Harrison & Burtraw, Dallas & Morgenstern, Richard & Palmer, Karen, 2011. "Climate Policy Design with Correlated Uncertainties in Offset Supply and Abatement Cost," Discussion Papers, Resources For the Future dp-10-01-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shaul Ben-David & David Brookshire & Stuart Burness & Michael McKee & Christian Schmidt, 2000. "Attitudes toward Risk and Compliance in Emission Permit Markets," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(4), pages 590-600.
- Suzi Kerr & Adam Millard-Ball, 2012.
"Cooperation To Reduce Developing Country Emissions,"
Climate Change Economics (CCE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.,
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 3(04), pages 1250023-1-1.
- Suzi Kerr & Adam Millard-Ball, 2012. "Cooperation to Reduce Developing Country Emissions," Working Papers, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research 12_03, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Heather Klemick, 2012. "What is the Optimal Offsets Discount under a Second-Best Cap & Trade Policy?," NCEE Working Paper Series, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 201204, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Jul 2012.
- Stocking, Andrew, 2010.
"Unintended Consequences of Price Controls: An Application to Allowance Markets,"
25559, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stocking, Andrew, 2012. "Unintended consequences of price controls: An application to allowance markets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 120-136.
- Andrew Yates, 2012. "On a Fundamental Advantage of Permits Over Taxes for the Control of Pollution," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 51(4), pages 583-598, April.
- Horowitz, John & Ueda, Kohei, 2013. "Paying Farmers to Reduce Nitrogen Application on Corn: The Baseline Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C., Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 150561, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Claassen, Roger & Duquette, Eric & Horowitz, John & Kohei, Ueda, 2014. "Additionality in U.S. Agricultural Conservation and Regulatory Offset Programs," Economic Research Report, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service 180414, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Gonzalex-Ramirez, Jimena & Kling, Catherine Louise & valcu, adriana, 2012.
"An Overview of Carbon Offsets from Agriculture,"
Staff General Research Papers, Iowa State University, Department of Economics
35575, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jimena González-Ramírez & Catherine L. Kling & Adriana Valcu, 2012. "An Overview of Carbon Offsets from Agriculture," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, Annual Reviews, vol. 4(1), pages 145-160, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.