Bank Borrowers and Loan Sales: New Evidence on the Uniqueness of Bank Loans
AbstractThis article examines the information content of the sale announcement of a borrower's loans by its lending bank. We find significant negative stock returns for the borrower on the loan sale announcement, particularly for subpar loan sales, where the bank's information advantage is greatest. Further, a large proportion of these borrowers file for bankruptcy after the loan sale. The evidence supports the hypothesis that the news of a bank loan sale conveys negative certification, which is validated by the subsequent performance of the firms whose loans are sold. We also find that the selling banks are not significantly affected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 76 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David VanHoose, 2013. "Implications of Shifting Retail Market Shares for Loan Monitoring in a Dominant-Bank Model," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 60(3), pages 291-316, 07.
- Wei-Huei Hsu & Abdullah Mamun & Lawrence C. Rose, 2010. "Lead bank quality and adverse rating announcements," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 340-357, October.
- Meuleman, Miguel & De Maeseneire, Wouter, 2012. "Do R&D subsidies affect SMEs’ access to external financing?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 580-591.
- Bernadette Minton & René Stulz & Rohan Williamson, 2009.
"How Much Do Banks Use Credit Derivatives to Hedge Loans?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Minton, Bernadette & Stulz, Rene & Williamson, Rohan, 2008. "How Much Do Banks Use Credit Derivatives to Hedge Loans?," Working Paper Series 2008-1, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Affinito, Massimiliano & Tagliaferri, Edoardo, 2010. "Why do (or did?) banks securitize their loans? Evidence from Italy," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 189-202, December.
- Linda Allen & Aron Gottesman, 2006. "The Informational Efficiency of the Equity Market As Compared to the Syndicated Bank Loan Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 5-42, August.
- Ozgur E. Ergungor & Leonardo Madureira & Nandkumar Nayar & Ajai K. Singh, 2011. "Banking relationships and sell-side research," Working Paper 1114, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- James R. Thompson, 2007. "Credit Risk Transfer: To Sell or to Insure," Working Papers 1131, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Pu Liu & Yingying Shao, 2013. "Small business loan securitization and interstate risk sharing," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 449-460, August.
- Chava, Sudheer & Purnanandam, Amiyatosh, 2011.
"The effect of banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 116-135, January.
- Sudheer Chava & Amiyatosh Purnanandam, 2006. "The effect of a banking crisis on bank-dependent borrowers," Proceedings 1030, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Gupta, Anurag & Singh, Ajai K. & Zebedee, Allan A., 2008. "Liquidity in the pricing of syndicated loans," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 339-376, November.
- Mark Pyles & Donald Mullineax, 2008. "Constraints on Loan Sales and the Price of Liquidity," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 21-36, February.
- Ivashina, Victoria, 2009. "Asymmetric information effects on loan spreads," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 300-319, May.
- David VanHoose, 2006. "Capital Regulation and Loan Monitoring in a Diverse Banking System," NFI Policy Briefs 2006-PB-13, Indiana State University, Scott College of Business, Networks Financial Institute.
- Allen, Linda & DeLong, Gayle & Saunders, Anthony, 2004. "Issues in the credit risk modeling of retail markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 727-752, April.
- Nicolò, Antonio & Pelizzon, Loriana, 2008.
"Credit derivatives, capital requirements and opaque OTC markets,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 444-463, October.
- Antonio Nicolo’ & Loriana Pelizzon, 2006. "Credit Derivatives, Capital Requirements and Opaque OTC Markets," Working Papers 2006_58, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Allen, Linda & Peristiani, Stavros, 2007. "Loan underpricing and the provision of merger advisory services," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3539-3562, December.
- Dmytro Holod & Joe Peek, 2013. "The value to banks of small business lending," Working Papers 13-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Santos, João A.C. & Nigro, Peter, 2009. "Is the secondary loan market valuable to borrowers?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1410-1428, November.
- Puri, Manju & Rocholl, Jörg & Steffen, Sascha, 2011. "On the importance of prior relationships in bank loans to retail customers," Working Paper Series 1395, European Central Bank.
- Güner, A. Burak, 2008. "Bank lending opportunities and credit standards," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 62-87, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.