Enforcement of Environmental Protection Laws under Communism and Democracy
AbstractLax enforcement of environmental protection laws in the formerly communist countries of Eastern and Central Europe is offered as one contributing factor to the large-scale environmental degradation that these countries have experienced. This article empirically examines enforcement responses to water-damaging "accidents" (for example, an oil spill) in the Czech Republic for the years 1988-92, a time period that spans both the communist political regime and the democratic political regime. In particular, it focuses on ex post penalties: required remediation (for example, cleanup after an oil spill) and monetary fines. Empirical analysis reveals the factors driving enforcement strategies in each political period and contrasts their influence under the two regimes. In particular, it identifies the operative liability rules guiding remediation and monetary fine decisions. Copyright 1997 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Law & Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hubert Kempf & St�Phane Rossignol, 2007.
"Is Inequality Harmful For The Environment In A Growing Economy?,"
Economics and Politics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 53-71, 03.
- Hubert Kempf & stéphane Rossignol, 2005. "Is inequality harmful for the environment in a growing economy ?," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v06045, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised May 2006.
- Hubert Kempf & Stéphane Rossignol, 2006. "Is inequality harmful for the environment in a growing economy ?," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00117046, HAL.
- Hubert Kempf & Stéphane Rossignol, 2005. "Is Inequality Harmful for the Environment in a Growing Economy?," Working Papers 2005.5, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Nyborg, Karine & Telle, Kjetil, 2004. "A dissolving paradox: Firms’ compliance to environmental regulation," Memorandum 02/2004, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Dietrich Earnhart & Lubomir Lizal, 2002.
"Effects of Ownership and Financial Status on Corporate Environmental Performance,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp203, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Lubomír Lízal & Dietrich Earnhart, 2002. "Effects of Ownership and Financial Status on Corporate Environmental Performance," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 492, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Earnhart, Dietrich & Lizal, Lubomir, 2002. "Effects of Ownership and Financial Status on Corporate Environmental Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 3557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blondiau, Thomas & Rousseau, Sandra, 2013. "Act-based versus harm-based sanctions for environmental offenders," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/409329, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Kjetil Telle, 2012. "Monitoring and enforcement of environmental regulations. Lessons from a natural field experiment in Norway," Discussion Papers 680, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Dietrich Earnhart, 2000. "Environmental â€œCitizen Suitsâ€ in the Czech Republic," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 43-68, July.
- Blondiau, Thomas & Rousseau, Sandra, 2009. "The impact of the judicial objective function on the enforcement of environmental standards," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/252662, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Earnhart, Dietrich & Lizal, Lubomir, 2006. "Effects of ownership and financial performance on corporate environmental performance," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 111-129, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.