On the Estimation of Demand Systems through Consumption Efficiency
AbstractThe authors consider a Bayesian implementation of a new approach to estimating demand systems. This approach, suggested by Hal R. Varian (1990), is based on a generalization of Sidney Afriat's (1967) efficiency index. The model the authors propose leads to a very tractable posterior and predictive analysis, yet allows for interesting economic interpretations. They conduct a sensitivity analysis with respect to the prior in an application to annual aggregate U.S. consumption data and conclude that the sample is quite informative. Average efficiency and expected budget shares are examined in some detail. Copyright 1996 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
Other versions of this item:
- Eduardo Ley & Mark F.J. Steel, 1995. "On the Estimation of Demand Systems Through Consumption Efficiency," Econometrics 9503001, EconWPA, revised 22 Feb 1996.
- C11 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Bayesian Analysis: General
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- KOOP, Gary & STEEL, Mark F. & OSIEWALSKI, Jacek, 1994. "Posterior Analysis of Stochastic Frontier Models using Gibbs Sampling," CORE Discussion Papers 1994061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1994.
"Bayesian Efficiency Analysis with a Flexible Form: The AIM Cost Function,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 339-46, July.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1994. "Bayesian efficiency analysis with a flexible form: The aim cost function," Discussion Paper 1994-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Geweke, John, 1989. "Bayesian Inference in Econometric Models Using Monte Carlo Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1317-39, November.
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- Oh, Inha & Lee, Jeong-Dong & Hwang, Seogwon & Heshmati, Almas, 2006.
"Analysis of Product Efficiency in the Korean Automobile Market from a Consumer’s Perspective,"
Ratio Working Papers
95, The Ratio Institute.
- Inha Oh & Jeong-Dong Lee & Seogwon Hwang & Almas Heshmati, 2010. "Analysis of product efficiency in the Korean automobile market from a consumer’s perspective," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 119-137, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.