On the Estimation of Demand Systems Through Consumption Efficiency
We consider a Bayesian implementation of a new approach to estimating Demand Systems. This approach, suggested by Varian (1990), is based on a generalization of Afriat's (1967) efficiency index. The model we propose leads to a very tractable posterior and predictive analysis, yet allows for interesting economic interpretations. We conduct a sensitivity analysis with respect to the prior in an application to annual aggregate U.S. consumption data, and conclude that the sample is quite informative. Average efficiency and expected budget shares are examined in some detail.
|Date of creation:||21 Mar 1995|
|Date of revision:||22 Feb 1996|
|Note:||Postscript file contains EPSF graphs and includes all non-standard fonts.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geweke, John, 1989. "Bayesian Inference in Econometric Models Using Monte Carlo Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1317-39, November.
- Varian, Hal R., 1990. "Goodness-of-fit in optimizing models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 125-140.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1994.
"Bayesian Efficiency Analysis with a Flexible Form: The AIM Cost Function,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 339-46, July.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1994. "Bayesian efficiency analysis with a flexible form : The aim cost function," Discussion Paper 1994-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- KOOP, Gary & STEEL, Mark F. & OSIEWALSKI, Jacek, 1994.
"Posterior Analysis of Stochastic Frontier Models using Gibbs Sampling,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F.J. & Koop, Gary, 1992. "Posterior analysis of stochastic frontier models using Gibbs sampling," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 3677, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:9503001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.