Thinking about need: Public spending on the regions
AbstractMacKay R. R. and Williams J. (2005) Thinking about need: public spending on the regions, Regional Studies 39 , 815-828. The UK Treasury accepts that need is the correct guide to spending on public services in different parts of the UK. But the formula used to decide changes in devolved spending in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland depends on the population: it does not compensate for differences in need. With devolved spending determined by need, there would be consistency across 11 of the 12 UK regions. London would be the sole exception. The heavy cost of the capital's public services is part of the argument for a more even distribution of income, wealth and employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R5 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis
- H2 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H7 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Burgess & Denise Gossage & Carol Propper, 2003.
"Explaining differences in hospital performance: Does the answer lie in the labour market?,"
The Centre for Market and Public Organisation
03/091, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Burgess, Simon & Gossage, Denise & Propper, Carol, 2003. "Explaining Differences in Hospital Performance: Does the Answer Lie in the Labour Market?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4118, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:rdg:wpaper:em-dp2007-48 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yannis Psycharis, 2008. "Public Spending Patterns: the regional allocation of public investment in Greece by political period," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 14, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.