Public capital and total factor productivity: New evidence from the Italian regions, 1970-98
AbstractDestefanis S. and Sena V. (2005) Public capital and total factor productivity: new evidence from the Italian regions, 1970-98, Regional Studies 39 , 603-618. This paper analyses the relationship between industrial total factor productivity and public capital across the 20 Italian administrative regions. It adds upon the existing literature in a number of ways: it analyses a longer period (1970-98); it allows for the role of human capital accumulation; it tests for the existence of a long-run relationship between total factor productivity and public capital (through previously suggested panel techniques) and for weak exogeneity of public capital; and it assesses the significance of public capital within a non-parametric set-up based on the Free Disposal Hull. The results confirm that public capital has a significant impact on the evolution of total factor productivity, particularly in the Southern regions. This impact is mainly ascribed to the core infrastructures (road and airports, harbours, railroads, water and electricity, telecommunications). Also, core infrastructures are weakly exogenous.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Regional Studies.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Federico Bonaglia & Eliana La Ferrara & Massimiliano Marcellino, .
"Public Capital and Economic Performance: Evidence from Italy,"
163, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Federico Bonaglia & Eliana La Ferrara & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2000. "Public Capital and Economic Performance: Evidence from Italy," Giornale degli Economisti, GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 59(2), pages 221-244, September.
- F. Bonaglia & L. Picci, 2000.
"Lo stock di capitale nelle Regioni Italiane,"
374, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- John A. Tatom, 1991. "Public capital and private sector performance," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue May, pages 3-15.
- R. Paci & R. Pala & E. Marrocu, 2000. "Estimation of total factor productivity for regions and sectors in Italy. A panel cointegration approach," Working Paper CRENoS 200016, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Lucio Picci, 1999.
"Productivity and Infrastructure in the Italian Regions,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 58(3-4), pages 329-353, December.
- Lucio Picci, 1995. "Productivity and Infrastructure in the Italian Regions," Working Papers 230, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Manuel Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2000.
"Convergence in OECD countries: technical change, efficiency and productivity,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(6), pages 757-765.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1998. "- Convergence In Oecd Countries: Technical Change, Efficiency And Productivity," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-21, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Alfredo M. Pereira, 2000. "Is All Public Capital Created Equal?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(3), pages 513-518, August.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181, October.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Vanden Eeckaut, Philippe, 1999.
"Estimating returns to scale using non-parametric deterministic technologies: A new method based on goodness-of-fit,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 206-214, February.
- KERSTENS, Kristiaan & VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe, 1997. "Estimating returns to scale using nonparametric deterministic technologies : a new method based on goodness-of-fit," CORE Discussion Papers 1997013, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Philippe Vanden Eeckaut, 2006. "Non-convex Technologies and Cost Functions: Definitions, Duality and Nonparametric Tests of Convexity (Journal of Economics 81(2):155–192)," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 87(3), pages 307-308, 04.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999.
"Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output Per Worker Than Others?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 114(1), pages 83-116, February.
- Robert E. Hall & Charles I. Jones, 1999. "Why Do Some Countries Produce So Much More Output per Worker than Others?," NBER Working Papers 6564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alicia H. Munnell, 1992. "Policy Watch: Infrastructure Investment and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(4), pages 189-198, Fall.
- Yair MUNDLAK & Donald F. LARSON & Rita BUTZER, 1999. "Rethinking Within and Between Regressions: The Case of Agricultural Production Functions," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 55-56, pages 475-501.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire & Robert H. Porter, 1993.
"The effect of public capital in state-level production functions reconsidered,"
Economics Working Papers
36, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Garcia-Mila, Teresa & McGuire, Therese J & Porter, Robert H, 1996. "The Effect of Public Capital in State-Level Production Functions Reconsidered," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 177-80, February.
- Morrison, Catherine J & Schwartz, Amy Ellen, 1996.
"State Infrastructure and Productive Performance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1095-1111, December.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- J. M. Albala-Bertrand & E. C. Mamatzakis, 2001. "Is public infrastructure productive? Evidence from Chile," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 195-198.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 2000. "Testing Restrictions in Nonparametric Efficiency Models," Papers 0013, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Alfredo Del Monte & Antonio Acconcia, 2000. "Regional Development and Public Spending: The Case of Italy," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(72).
- Daniel J. Henderson & R. Robert Russell, 2005. "Human Capital And Convergence: A Production-Frontier Approach ," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1167-1205, November.
- Sturm, Jan Egbert & de Haan, Jakob, 1995.
"Is public expenditure really productive?: New evidence for the USA and The Netherlands,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Jan Egbert Sturm & Jakob de Haan,, 1994. "Is public expenditure really productive? New evidence for the US and the Netherlands," Working Papers 20, Centre for Economic Research, University of Groningen and University of Twente.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Philippe Venden Eeckaut, 2004. "Non-convex Technologies and Cost Functions: Definitions, Duality and Nonparametric Tests of Convexity," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 81(2), pages 155-192, 02.
- Miriam A. Golden & Lucio Picci, 2005. "Proposal For A New Measure Of Corruption, Illustrated With Italian Data," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17, pages 37-75, 03.
- Clive, W.J. & Lin, Jin-Lung, 1995. "Causality in the Long Run," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 530-536, June.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.