Regional Development and Public Spending: The Case of Italy
AbstractRegional Development and Public Spending: the Case of Italy (by Antonio Acconcia, Alfredo Del Monte) - ABSTRACT: In Italy redistribution and regional policies have been implemented since World War II; poorer regions have been receiving large amount of public funds, namely public consumption and infrastructure investment, to stimulate economic activity or, more generally, to increase welfare. Starting with this premise, the paper analyses the effects of public spending on regional growth in Italy. Taking advantage of both the spatial and the time dimension of the available data, we offer results of two distinct panel analyses which stress the cross-section or the time dimension, respectively. The main results are the following: there is a positive relationship between regional growth and infrastructure capital which mainly holds for the Manufacturing sector; within the Manufacturing sector, the impact of public investment on productivity is noticeably stronger for the low-income group of regions than for the high-income group of regions. No positive impact of public consumption on productivity is detected. Keywords: regional disparities; infrastructure investment; public consumption. JEL Classification: O18, H54
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by FrancoAngeli Editore in its journal STUDI ECONOMICI.
Volume (Year): 2000/72 (2000)
Issue (Month): 72 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.francoangeli.it/riviste/sommario.asp?IDRivista=59
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Camilla Mastromarco & Ulrich Woitek, 2006. "Public Infrastructure Investment and Efficiency in Italian Regions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 57-65, 04.
- Gerson Javier Perez & Peter Rowland, 2004.
"Regional economic policies. Four country cases,"
Colombian Economic Journal,
Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Economicas, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad de los Andes, Universidad del Valle, Un, vol. 2(1), pages 81-120, November.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, . "Regional Economic Policies: Four Country Cases," Borradores de Economia 301, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, 2004. "Regional Economic Policies:Four Country Cases," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003438, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan David Barón & Gerson Javier Pérez & Peter Rowland, .
"A Regional Economic Policy for Colombia,"
Borradores de Economia
314, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Sergio Destefanis & Vania Sena, 2005. "Public capital and total factor productivity: New evidence from the Italian regions, 1970-98," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 603-617.
- Bertarelli Silvia, 2006. "Capitale pubblico e crescita: una sintesi critica," Politica economica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 361-398.
- Federico Bonaglia & Eliana La Ferrara & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2000.
"Public Capital and Economic Performance: Evidence from Italy,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 59(2), pages 221-244, September.
- Federico Bonaglia & Eliana La Ferrara & Massimiliano Marcellino, . "Public Capital and Economic Performance: Evidence from Italy," Working Papers 163, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Roberto Basile & Sergio de Nardis & Alessandro Girardi, 2001. "Regional inequalities and cohesion policies in the european union," ISAE Working Papers 23, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Del Monte, Alfredo & Papagni, Erasmo, 2001. "Public expenditure, corruption, and economic growth: the case of Italy," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-16, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Angelo Ventriglia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.