A Regional Economic Policy for Colombia
AbstractThis paper proposes a framework for a regional economic policy in Colombia. The regional characteristics and disparities of the country are studied, and regional disparities are shown to be both significant and persistent over time. This calls for a policy initiative to promote the development of the poorer regions of the country. The studyhere draws lessons from other cases of the regional economic policy, and proposes a framework based on the regional policy initiative that is currently being implemented in Brazil.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO in its journal REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO.
Volume (Year): (2004)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Other versions of this item:
- Juan David Barón & Gerson Javier Pérez & Peter Rowland, 2004. "A Regional Economic Policy For Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 001931, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan David Barón & Gerson Javier Pérez & Peter Rowland, . "A Regional Economic Policy for Colombia," Borradores de Economia 314, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moore, Barry C & Rhodes, John, 1976. "Regional Economic Policy and the Movement of Manufacturing Firms to Development Areas," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 43(169), pages 17-31, February.
- Tyler, Peter, 1980. "The Impact of Regional Policy on a Prosperous Region: The Experience of the West Midlands," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 151-62, March.
- Treyz, George I & Friedlaender, Ann F & Stevens, Benjamin H, 1980. "The Employment Sector of a Regional Policy Simulation Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Ana Lamo, 2000. "On convergence empirics: same evidence for Spanish regions," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 24(3), pages 681-707, September.
- Barro, R.J. & Sala-I-Martin, X., 1991.
"Convergence Across States and Regions,"
629, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Robert J. Barro & Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1991. "Convergence across States and Regions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 107-182.
- Barro, Robert J & Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1992. "Convergence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 223-51, April.
- Pranab Bardhan, 1997. "Corruption and Development: A Review of Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1320-1346, September.
- Barbara Sianesi, 2002. "The returns to education: a review of the empirical macro-economic literature," IFS Working Papers W02/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Faini, Riccardo & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1987. "Incentives and Investment Decisions: The Effectiveness of Regional Policy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 516-33, September.
- Hart, R A & MacKay, D I, 1977. "Wage Inflation, Regional Policy and the Regional Earnings Structure," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(175), pages 267-81, August.
- Alfredo Del Monte & Antonio Acconcia, 2000. "Regional Development and Public Spending: The Case of Italy," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(72).
- Gerson Javier Perez & Peter Rowland, 2004.
"Regional economic policies. Four country cases,"
Colombian Economic Journal,
Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Economicas, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad de los Andes, Universidad del Valle, Un, vol. 2(1), pages 81-120, November.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, . "Regional Economic Policies: Four Country Cases," Borradores de Economia 301, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, 2004. "Regional Economic Policies:Four Country Cases," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003438, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Neri, F., 2001. "Schooling Quality and Economic Growth," Economics Working Papers wp01-06, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Shankar, Raja & Shah, Anwar, 2001. "Bridging the economic divide within nations : a scorecard on the performance of regional development policies in reducing regional income disparities," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2717, The World Bank.
- Jaime Bonet Morón & Adolfo Meisel Roca, 1999. "La convergencia Regional en Colombia: una visión de largo plazo, 1926-1995," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO SOBRE ECONOMÃA REGIONAL 002955, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ECONOMÍA REGIONAL.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese J. McGuire, 1996.
"Do interregional transfers improve the economic performance of poor regions? The case of Spain,"
Economics Working Papers
207, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Teresa Garcia-Milà & Therese McGuire, 2001. "Do Interregional Transfers Improve the Economic Performance of Poor Regions? The Case of Spain," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 281-296, May.
- Behrman, Jere R & Birdsall, Nancy, 1983. "The Quality of Schooling: Quantity Alone is Misleading," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 928-46, December.
- R. Paci & F. Pigliaru, 1998. "Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions," Working Paper CRENoS 199803, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- BAUMONT, Catherine & ERTUR, Cem & LE GALLO, Julie, 2001. "A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Geographic Spillovers and Growth for European Regions, 1980-1995," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2001-04, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, 2004.
"Regional Economic Policies:Four Country Cases,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
003438, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Gerson Javier Perez & Peter Rowland, 2004. "Regional economic policies. Four country cases," Colombian Economic Journal, Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Economicas, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad de los Andes, Universidad del Valle, Un, vol. 2(1), pages 81-120, November.
- Peter Rowland, 2006. "A Regional Study of the Colombian Corporate Sector:," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 001933, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Bennett Sutton & Genevieve Lindow & Maria Isabel Serra & Gustavo Ramirez & Maria Fernanda Pazmino, 2006. "Regional Convergence in Latin America," IMF Working Papers 06/125, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Rowland, . "A Regional Study of the Colombian Corporate Sector: Differences, Trends and Developments in Different Cities," Borradores de Economia 373, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicaciones Economía).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.