Growth and sectoral dynamics in the Italian regions
AbstractRegional differentials in per capita income and labour productivity in Italy is one of the most notable cases of regional inequality and have attracted attention from economists from all over the world since the 1950s. In this paper we first aim at yielding a comprehensive description of the pattern of regional inequality in Italy on the basis of a new dataset on the main regional variables for the period 1951-94. We use descriptive statistics and panel regression analysis, in order to allow direct comparisons with the impressive evidence available on a large number of national cases. Second, we offer our contribution to the debate about the sources of the persistence of a high degree of regional inequality in Italy. We concentrate on sectoral dynamics in order to assess how much of the initially high potential for convergence due to the dualistic structure of the poorer regions has been exploited, by which regions, under what regional policy regimes. Our analysis remarks that a limited convergence process has occurred over the years 1951-75; afterward the degree of inequality between Northern and Southern regions has increased again. Moreover, the regional distribution of per capita income presents a bimodal polarisation with a rich convergence club which includes most of northern regions, and a poor club made of a small group of non-adriatic southern regions. In the sectoral analysis we find that dual mechanisms play a role in aggregate convergence as long as the outflows of labour from the low productivity agriculture of the poorer regions are a source of expansion of these regions’ industrial sector. Once this migration from agriculture to industry ends in some of these regions, the impact of dualistic mechanisms on convergence weakens significantly. Industrialisation, or its failure, still appears to be the key to understand why some of the lagging regions converge and others do not.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia in its series Working Paper CRENoS with number 199803.
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gerson Javier Pérez V. & Peter Rowland, .
"Regional Economic Policies: Four Country Cases,"
Borradores de Economia
301, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Gerson Javier Perez & Peter Rowland, 2004. "Regional economic policies. Four country cases," Colombian Economic Journal, Academia Colombiana de Ciencias Economicas, Colegio Mayor de Nuestra Senora del Rosario, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana, Universidad de Antioquia, Universidad de los Andes, Universidad del Valle, Un, vol. 2(1), pages 81-120, November.
- Juan David Barón & Gerson Javier pérez & Peter Rowland, 2004.
"A Regional Economic Policy for Colombia,"
REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO,
UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Juan David Barón & Gerson Javier Pérez & Peter Rowland, 2004. "A Regional Economic Policy For Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 001931, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan David Barón & Gerson Javier Pérez & Peter Rowland, . "A Regional Economic Policy for Colombia," Borradores de Economia 314, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Francesco Pigliaru, 2009. "The Economic Lag of the Mezzogiorno: A Steady State?," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 3, August.
- M. Musumeci, 2000. "Innovazione tecnologica e beni culturali. Uno studio sulla situazione della Sicilia," Working Paper CRENoS 200008, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- R. Naylor, 2001. "Firm profits and the number of firms under unionised oligopoly," Working Paper CRENoS 200109, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Alessandra Faggian & Bianca Biagi, 2003.
"Measuring Regional Multipliers: a Comparison between two Different Methodologies for the case of the italian Regions,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2003(1).
- Alessandra Faggian & Bianca Biagi, 2003. "Measuring Regional Multipliers: A Comparison between Two Different Methodologies for the Case Of The Italian Regions," ERSA conference papers ersa03p249, European Regional Science Association.
- C. Antonelli & R. Marchionatti & S. Usai, 2000. "Productivity and External Knowledge: The Italian Case," Working Paper CRENoS 200009, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- R. Carcangiu & G. Sistu & S. Usai, 1999. "Struttura socio-economica dei comuni della Sardegna. Suggerimenti da un’analisi cluster," Working Paper CRENoS 199903, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- N. Garrido & F. Mureddu, 2011. "Italian economic dualism and convergence clubs at regional level," Working Paper CRENoS 201116, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- LR. Keller & E. Strazzera, 2000. "Examining predictive models among discounting models," Working Paper CRENoS 200005, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2005.
"Economic structure, technology diffusion and convergence - the case of the Italian regions,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p323, European Regional Science Association.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2005. "Economic Structure, Technology Diffusion and Convergence: The Case of the Italian Regions," Studies in Economics 0507, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Luigi Cannari (editor), 2009. "The Mezzogiorno and regional policies," Workshop and Conferences 2, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Cuadrado-Roura, Juan R. & Mancha Navarro, Tomas & Garrido Yserte, Ruben, 1999. "Real versus virtual growth: An Analysis of regional Dynamics," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa195, European Regional Science Association.
- Attilio Gardini & Giuseppe Cavaliere & Luca Fanelli, 2005.
"Risk Sharing, avversione al rischio e stabilizzazione delle economie regionali in Italia,"
Rivista di Politica Economica,
SIPI Spa, vol. 95(3), pages 219-266, May-June.
- Attilio Gardini & Giuseppe Cavaliere & Luca Fanelli, 2006. "Risk sharing, avversione al rischio e stabilizzazione delle economie regionali in Italia," Quaderni di Dipartimento 0, Department of Statistics, University of Bologna.
- R. Naylor, 2001. "Industry profits and market size under bilateral oligopoly," Working Paper CRENoS 200108, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.