Enhancing the efficiency of securities markets in East Asia
AbstractWe explore the relative efficiency of stock markets across countries using newly available data on transactions costs and the quality of the informational environment of stock markets. These new measures are constructed from firm-level stock returns in a panel of 60 countries for the period 2000-2004. We develop a framework to understand the linkages between efficiency, liquidity, transactions costs, and informational quality and then study their determinants. We find that some institutional arrangements - such as the availability of stock lending and short selling - and the openness of markets are associated with lower transactions costs. We also find that, although disclosure rules for directors and officers of listed firms are essential, the ability of shareholders to seek redress is more conducive to a better informational environment in stock markets. This in turn serves as the basis for policy recommendations for the East Asian region. In particular, the region needs to continue to strengthen the implementation and enforcement of corporate governance, to further enhance the market and institutional infrastructure, and focus on measures to foster a larger and more diversified investor base, in order to continue to see gains in the efficiency of stock markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies.
Volume (Year): 1 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REME20
Other versions of this item:
- Ghosh, Swati & Revilla, Ernesto, 2007. "Enhancing the efficiency of securities markets in East Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4129, The World Bank.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lesmond, David A & Ogden, Joseph P & Trzcinka, Charles A, 1999. "A New Estimate of Transaction Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(5), pages 1113-41.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2005.
"The Law and Economics of Self-Dealing,"
NBER Working Papers
11883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Frederick Kramer & Catriona Purfield & Hiroko Oura & Andreas Jobst, 2006.
"Asian Equity Markets: Growth, Opportunities, and Challenges,"
IMF Working Papers
06/266, International Monetary Fund.
- Catriona Purfield & Hiroko Oura & Charles Kramer & Andreas Jobst, 2008. "Asian equity markets: growth, opportunities, and challenges," Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 227-248.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Arturo Bris & William Goetzmann & Ning Zhu, 2004. "Short-Sales in Global Perspective," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm453, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Sep 2009.
- Karl W. Steininger, 2002. "Transport, Access and Economic Growth," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 3(2), pages 75-91, April.
- Hess, David & Impavido, Gregorio, 2003. "Governance of public pension funds : lessons from corporate governance and international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3110, The World Bank.
- Augusto de la Torre & Sergio Schmukler, 2005. "Whither Latin American Capital Markets?," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10336, The World Bank.
- Rafael Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2006.
"What Works in Securities Laws?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 61(1), pages 1-32, 02.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, . "What Works in Securities Laws?," Working Paper 19491, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2003. "What Works in Securities Law?," NBER Working Papers 9882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall Morck & Bernard Yeung & Wayne Wu, 1999.
"The Information Content of Stock Markets: Why do Emerging Markets have Synchronous Stock Price Movements?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
44, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Randall Morck & Bernard Yeung & Wayne Yu, 1999. "The Information Content of Stock Markets: Why Do Emerging Markets Have Synchronous Stock Price Movements?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1879, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Schwert, G. William, 2003.
"Anomalies and market efficiency,"
Handbook of the Economics of Finance,
in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 15, pages 939-974
- Lesmond, David A., 2005. "Liquidity of emerging markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 411-452, August.
- Lagoarde-Segot, Thomas, 2009. "Financial reforms and time-varying microstructures in emerging equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1755-1769, October.
- Tao Sun & L. Effie Psalida, 2009. "Spillovers to Emerging Equity Markets: An Econometric Assessment," IMF Working Papers 09/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Joyce Hsieh & Chien-Chung Nieh, 2010. "An overview of Asian equity markets," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 24(2), pages 19-51, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.