Trade liberalization and productivity growth in latin american manufacturing, 1970-98
AbstractWe examine the relationship between trade liberalization and manufacturing labor productivity growth for 27 industries in seven Latin American countries from 1970 to 1998. Our trade variables are export and import growth and a commercial reform index, which capture the various channels through which productivity and trade liberalization may be related. Using the Arellano-Bond GMM estimator, we find a significant positive correlation between all three variables and productivity growth. US productivity growth and distance behind best-practice technology are also significantly correlated with productivity growth. These results have to be understood in the context of sweeping economic reforms and continuing economic difficulties in the countries under investigation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
Other versions of this item:
- Eva Paus & Nola Reinhardt & Michael Robinson, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and Productivity Growth in Latin American Manufacturing, 1970-98," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 1-15.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chuang, Yih-Chyi, 1998. "Learning by Doing, the Technology Gap, and Growth," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(3), pages 697-721, August.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2002.
"Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 245-276.
- Pavcnik, Nina, 2002. "Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvement: Evidence from Chilean Plants," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 245-76, January.
- Nina Pavcnik, 2000. "Trade Liberalization, Exit, and Productivity Improvements: Evidence from Chilean Plants," NBER Working Papers 7852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peres, Wilson & Stumpo, Giovanni, 2000. "Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturing Enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean Under the New Economic Model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1643-1655, September.
- Macario, Carla, 2000. "The Behavior of Manufacturing Firms Under the New Economic Model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1597-1610, September.
- Tybout, James & de Melo, Jaime & Corbo, Vittorio, 1990.
"The effects of trade reforms on scale and technical efficiency : new evidence from Chile,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
481, The World Bank.
- Tybout, James & de Melo, Jamie & Corbo, Vittorio, 1991. "The effects of trade reforms on scale and technical efficiency : New evidence from Chile," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3-4), pages 231-250, November.
- Mortimore, Michael, 2000. "Corporate Strategies for FDI in the Context of Latin America's New Economic Model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1611-1626, September.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bonelli, Regis, 1992. "Growth and productivity in Brazilian industries : Impacts of trade orientation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 85-109, July.
- Alcorta, Ludovico, 2000. "New Economic Policies and the Diffusion of Machine Tools in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1657-1672, September.
- Nishimizu, Mieko & Robinson, Sherman, 1984. "Trade policies and productivity change in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 177-206.
- Bailliu, Jeannine N., 2000.
"Private Capital Flows, Financial Development, and Economic Growth in Developing Countries,"
00-15, Bank of Canada.
- Jeannine N. Bailliu, 2000. "Private Capital Flows, Financial Development, and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," Working Papers 00-16, Bank of Canada.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996.
"Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998. "Is Learning By Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence From Colombia, Mexico, And Morocco," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947, August.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," NBER Working Papers 5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhardt, Nola & Peres, Wilson, 2000. "Latin America's New Economic Model: Micro Responses and Economic Restructuring," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1543-1566, September.
- Tybout, James R. & Westbrook, M. Daniel, 1995. "Trade liberalization and the dimensions of efficiency change in Mexican manufacturing industries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 53-78, August.
- Ramos, Joseph, 2000. "Policy Directions for the New Economic Model in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1703-1717, September.
- Alessia LO TURCO & Daniela MAGGIONI, 2012. "Does trade foster employment growth in emerging markets? Evidence from Turkey," Working Papers 383, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Rajagopal, 2005.
"Where Did the Trade Liberalization Drive Latin American Economy: A Cross Section Analysis,"
- Rajagopal, 2006. "Where Did the Trade Liberalization Drive Latin American Economy: A Cross Section Analysis," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(2).
- Trevino, Len J. & Thomas, Douglas E. & Cullen, John, 2008. "The three pillars of institutional theory and FDI in Latin America: An institutionalization process," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 118-133, February.
- Avraham Ebenstein & Ann Harrison & Margaret McMillan & Shannon Phillips, 2009.
"Estimating the Impact of Trade and Offshoring on American Workers Using the Current Population Surveys,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0742, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Ebenstein, Avraham & Harrison, Ann & McMillan, Margaret & Phillips, Shannon, 2011. "Estimating the impact of trade and offshoring on American workers using the current population surveys," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5750, The World Bank.
- Paus, Eva A., 2004. "Productivity Growth in Latin America: The Limits of Neoliberal Reforms," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 427-445, March.
- Faundez, Sebastian & Mulder, Nanno & Carpentier, Nicole, 2011. "Productivity growth in Latin American manufacturing: what role for international trade intensities?," MPRA Paper 36507, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McMillan, Margaret & Rodrik, Dani, 2012.
"Globalization, structural change, and productivity growth:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1160, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Margaret S. McMillan & Dani Rodrik, 2011. "Globalization, Structural Change and Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 17143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rim BEN AYED MOUELHI, 2007. "The Impact Of Trade Liberalization On Tunisian Manufacturing: Structure, Performance And Employment," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 25, pages 87-114.
- Carlos Gustavo Machicado & Felix Rioja & Antonio Saravia, 2012. "Productivity, Structural Change, and Latin American Development," Development Research Working Paper Series 03/2012, Institute for Advanced Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.