Migration and the Sending Economy: A Disaggregated Rural Economy-Wide Analysis
AbstractMost economic research on migration impacts focuses on the households that send the migrants and get the remittances, ignoring linkages with others in the sending economies. This paper offers an alternative, disaggregated economy-wide perspective on migration and its impacts. Data from the 2003 Mexico National Rural Household Survey are used to calibrate a series of interacting rural household models nested within a general equilibrium model of the whole rural economy. Simulations reveal that the impacts of international migration and remittances on sending areas depend critically on the ways in which local markets transmit influences among households.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Christian Lehman, 2014. "Long-Run Effects Of Conditional Cash Transfers," Anais do XLI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 41th Brazilian Economics Meeting], ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³sgraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Gra 223, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- J. Edward Taylor, 2012. "A Methodology for Local Economy-Wide Impact Evaluation (LEWIE) of Cash Transfers," Working Papers 99, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Theodore Gerber & Karine Torosyan, 2013. "Remittances in the Republic of Georgia: Correlates, Economic Impact, and Social Capital Formation," Demography, Springer, Springer, vol. 50(4), pages 1279-1301, August.
- Melissa SIEGEL & Jennifer WAIDLER, 2012.
"Migration and multi-dimensional poverty in Moldovan communities,"
Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University,
Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 3, pages 105-119, December.
- Siegel, Melissa & Waidler, Jennifer, 2012. "Migration and multi-dimensional poverty in Moldovan communities," MERIT Working Papers 077, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Filipski, Mateusz & Edward Taylor, J. & Msangi, Siwa, 2011. "Effects of Free Trade on Women and Immigrants: CAFTA and the Rural Dominican Republic," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1862-1877.
- Dyer, George A. & Taylor, J. Edward, 2011. "The Corn Price Surge: Impacts on Rural Mexico," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1878-1887.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.