The stylized approach to unit root testing: Neglected contributions and the cost of simplicity
AbstractFollowing Dickey & Fuller (1979) (DF), a stylized approach to the testing of the unit root hypothesis has emerged. Based upon the combined use of the DF test in its augmented t -ratio form and MacKinnon (1991) critical values, the approach has received widespread adoption due to the ease with which it can be applied. In this paper a number of departures from this "stylized approach', which do not significantly reduce its ease of application, are examined. The results obtained from an empirical application to UK industrial production and Monte Carlo experimentation have clear methodological implications, showing that routine application of the stylized approach can lead to misleading inferences concerning the integrated nature of economic time series.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Applied Statistics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1995. "Lag Order and Critical Values of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller Test," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 277-80, July.
- Leybourne, S J, 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots Using Forward and Reverse Dickey-Fuller Regressions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(4), pages 559-71, November.
- S Cook, 2001. "Finite-sample critical values of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller statistic: a note on lag order," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 6(2), pages 31-46, September.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Ng, S. & Perron, P., 1994.
"Unit Root Tests ARMA Models with Data Dependent Methods for the Selection of the Truncation Lag,"
Cahiers de recherche
9423, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ng, S. & Perron, P., 1994. "Unit Root Tests ARMA Models with Data Dependent Methods for the Selection of the Truncation Lag," Cahiers de recherche 9423, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.