Electricity Generation and Economic Efficiency: Panel Data Evidence from World and East Asian Countries
AbstractThis paper investigates the effect of electricity generation on countries' economic efficiency. By using a sample of 42 World and East Asian countries for the time period 1996-2006 the paper employs Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) window analysis and econometric panel techniques. The results reveal that there is an inverted U-shape relationship between electricity generation and countries' economic efficiency. Finally, the turning point for the European countries is much smaller compared to the one of East Asian countries indicating that the European countries shift in energy use from electricity to other sources of energy. In addition the electricity generation-economic efficiency relationship depends also on the structure of the economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Global Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RGER20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2012. "Analyzing the Greek renewable energy sector: A Data Envelopment Analysis approach," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 2884-2893.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Towards a culture of environmental efficiency: An application of conditional partial nonparametric frontiers," MPRA Paper 28690, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2013. "The effect of electricity consumption from renewable sources on countries’ economic growth levels: Evidence from advanced, emerging and developing economies," MPRA Paper 50630, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2013. "Renewable energy consumption and economic efficiency: Evidence from European countries," MPRA Paper 44136, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2011. "Oil consumption and economic efficiency: A comparative analysis of advanced, developing and emerging economies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(7), pages 1354-1362, May.
- Arazmuradov, Annageldy, 2011. "Energy consumption and carbon dioxide environmental efficiency for former Soviet Union economies. evidence from DEA window analysis," MPRA Paper 36903, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 24 Feb 2012.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "A nonparametric analysis of the Greek renewable energy sector," MPRA Paper 30467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "A conditional full frontier modelling for analyzing environmental efficiency and economic growth," MPRA Paper 32839, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2011. "Examining the influence of access to improved water and sanitation sources on countries’ economic efficiency," MPRA Paper 30099, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.