Mature Export-Led Growth and Gender Wage Inequality in Taiwan
AbstractAfter 1980, the Taiwanese economy was marked by technological change, growing overseas investment by Taiwanese firms, and continuing success with export-oriented manufacturing. In the manufacturing sector these developments coincided with a decline in women's employment opportunities relative to men's, a shift from wage to salaried employment, and an increase in gender wage inequality. Using industry-level panel data, this study investigates the effects of Taiwan's restructuring during this period on gender wage inequality. The most important findings are: greater export orientation adversely affects both men's and women's wages yet reduces gender wage inequality, because male employees face a greater wage penalty than women; greater capital intensity improves both men's and women's wages; and the shift toward salaried jobs improves men's wages while reducing wages of women. These results hold after controlling for the effects of female industrial crowding, female reserve labor supply, firm size, and overseas foreign direct investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Feminist Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RFEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fields, Gary S, 1994. "Changing Labor Market Conditions and Economic Development in Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan, China," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 8(3), pages 395-414, September.
- Gannicott, Kenneth, 1986. "Women, Wages, and Discrimination: Some Evidence from Taiwan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(4), pages 721-30, July.
- Robert C. Feenstra, .
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
Department of Economics
98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Stephanie Seguino, 1997. "Gender wage inequality and export-led growth in South Korea," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 102-132.
- Richard B. Freeman, 1995. "Are Your Wages Set in Beijing?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 15-32, Summer.
- Del Alba Acevedo, Luz, 1990. "Industrialization and employment: Changes in the patterns of women's work in Puerto Rico," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 215-229, February.
- William T. Dickens & Lawrence F. Katz, 1987. "Interindustry Wage Differences and Industry Characteristics," NBER Working Papers 2014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Greene & Emily Hoffnar, 1995. "Gender earnings inequality in the service and manufacturing industries in the U.S," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(3), pages 82-95.
- Tain-jy Chen & Yi-Ping Chen, 1995. "Foreign Direct Investment," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 57-68.
- Chen, Tain-Jy, 1992. "Determinants of Taiwan's direct foreign investment : The case of a newly industrializing country," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 397-407, October.
- Jiann-Chyuan Wang & Kuen-Hung Tsai, 1995. "Taiwan's Industrial Technology," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 69-82.
- Barbara R. Bergmann, 1974. "Occupational Segregation, Wages and Profits When Employers Discriminate by Race or Sex," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 103-110, April.
- William MILBERG & Deborah WINKLER, 2011.
"Economic and social upgrading in global production networks: Problems of theory and measurement,"
International Labour Review,
International Labour Organization, vol. 150(3-4), pages 341-365, December.
- William Milberg & Deborah Winkler, 2012. "Economic and Social Upgrading in Global Production Networks: Problems of Theory and Measurement," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series ctg-2010-04, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Maria S. Floro & Mieke Meurs, 2010. "Gender Equality at the Heart of Decent Work," Working Papers 2010-01, American University, Department of Economics.
- Seo-Young Cho, 2012. "Integrating Equality: Globalization, Women's Rights, and Human Trafficking," Economics of Security Working Paper Series 69, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ebru Kongar, 2005. "Importing Equality or Exporting Jobs?: Competition and Gender Wage and Employment Differentials in U.S. Manufacturing," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2005_13, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Mukhopadhyay, Ujjaini & Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2011. "Economic liberalization, gender wage inequality and welfare – a theoretical analysis," MPRA Paper 32954, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barry Reilly & Puja Vasudeva Dutta, 2005. "The Gender Pay Gap and Trade Liberalisation: Evidence for India," PRUS Working Papers 32, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- King Dejardin, Amelita, 2009. "Gender (in)equality, globalization and governance," ILO Working Papers 432727, International Labour Organization.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2002. "Gender, quality of life, and growth in Asia 1070 to 1990," MPRA Paper 6547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elissa Braunstein, 2001. "Shifting From the Home to the Market: Accounting for Women's Work in Taiwan, 1965-1995," Working Papers wp24, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Stephanie Seguino, 2008. "Gender, Distribution, and Balance of Payments (revised 10/08)," Working Papers wp133_revised, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- Assaad, Ragui & Arntz, Melanie, 2005. "Constrained Geographical Mobility and Gendered Labor Market Outcomes Under Structural Adjustment: Evidence from Egypt," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 431-454, March.
- repec:ilo:ilowps:446898 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wang, Wei-Ching, 2009. "Information economy and inequality: Wage polarization, unemployment, and occupation transition in Taiwan since 1980," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 120-136, March.
- van Staveren, I.P., 2002. "Towards monitoring mutual trade-gender links," ISS Working Papers - General Series 19102, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2003. "Why are women in the Caribbean so much more likely than men to be unemployed?," MPRA Paper 6507, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephanie Seguino, 2005.
"Gender Inequality in a Globalizing World,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_426, Levy Economics Institute, The.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2006. "The great equalizer?: Globalization effects on gender equality in Latin America and the Caribbean," MPRA Paper 6509, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gunseli Berik, 2006. "Growth with Gender Inequity: Another Look at East Asian Development," Working Paper Series, Department of Economics, University of Utah 2006_03, University of Utah, Department of Economics.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2006. "The Road to Gender Equality: Global Trends and the Way Forward," MPRA Paper 6510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dong, Xiao-yuan & Zhang, Liqin, 2009. "Economic transition and gender differentials in wages and productivity: Evidence from Chinese manufacturing enterprises," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 144-156, January.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2003. "Taking gender differences in bargaining power seriously: Equity, labor standards, and living wages," MPRA Paper 6508, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2003.
- Ebru Kongar & Mark Price, 2010. "Offshoring of white-collar jobs in the United States and gendered outcomes," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 31(8), pages 888-907, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.