Technology Specialization And The Magnitude And Quality Of Exports
AbstractThis paper examines how technology specialization, measured by citation-weighed patents, affects trade flows. The paper analyzes the relationship between (i) technology specialization and export specialization across regions and (ii) the technology specialization of origin and destination and the quality of export flows. We find that the export specialization of regions corresponds to their technology specialization. Regions with higher technology specialization export products of higher quality, as indicated by higher prices. Moreover, export flows to destination countries with a high technology specialization consist of products of higher quality in the specific technology. The results are consistent with knowledge and technology being important for export performance and with regions with higher specialization in a technology being better equipped to produce high-quality products. They are also consistent with destinations of higher technology specialization, having a more pronounced demand for products of higher quality in the same technology.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 17 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bergman, Karin & Ejermo, Olof, 2011.
"Swedish Business R&D and its Export Dependence,"
CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers
2011/5, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Rainer Walz, 2010. "Competences for green development and leapfrogging in newly industrializing countries," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 245-265, August.
- Klimis Vogiatzoglou, 2009. "Determinants of Export Specialization in ICT Products: A Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers 2009.3, International Network for Economic Research - INFER.
- Martin Woerter, 2009. "Technology diversification, product innovations, and technology transfer," KOF Working papers 09-221, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Sara Johansson & Charlie Karlsson, 2007. "R&D accessibility and regional export diversity," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 501-523, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.