THE IMPACT OF ABSORPTIVE CAPACITY ON SMEs' COLLABORATION
AbstractAbsorptive capacity plays a key role in determining firms' capability to access and make use of external knowledge. However, little evidence has been provided about this important determinant of knowledge acquisition in the context of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). This article investigates the importance of absorptive capacity created and accumulated in R&D efforts and in qualified human resources, on SMEs' capabilities to collaborate with other firms, with universities and with technology transfer centres. The empirical evidence is based on a survey of interviews with 276 manufacturing SMEs located in the Lombardy region (Italy). Probit model estimations demonstrate that even in SMEs absorptive capacity has a relevant impact on the ability of firms to establish collaborations with external organisations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- de Jong, Jeroen P.J. & Freel, Mark, 2010. "Absorptive capacity and the reach of collaboration in high technology small firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 47-54, February.
- García-Quevedo, José & Mas-Verdú, Francisco & Montolio, Daniel, 2011.
"What type of innovative firms acquire knowledge intensive services and from which suppliers?,"
INGENIO (CSIC-UPV) Working Paper Series
201108, INGENIO (CSIC-UPV).
- José García-Quevedo & Francisco Mas-Verdú & Daniel Montolio, 2011. "What type of innovative firms acquire knowledge intensive services and from which suppliers?," Working Papers 2011/22, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Chiara Franco & Alberto Marzucchi & Sandro Montresor, 2012.
"Absorptive capacity, innovation cooperation and human-capital. Evidence from 3 European countries,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation
2012-05, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Chiara Franco & Alberto Marzucchi & Sandro Montresor, 2012. "Absorptive capacity, innovation cooperation and human-capital. Evidence from 3 European countries," JRC-IPTS Working Papers JRC77090, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre, revised Nov 2012.
- Luca Berchicci & Jeroen P.J. de Jong & Mark Freel, 2013. "Remote Collaboration, Absorptive Capacity, and the Innovative Output of High-tech Small Firms," DRUID Working Papers 13-01, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Kuo-Feng Huang & Chwo-Ming Yu, 2011. "The effect of competitive and non-competitive R&D collaboration on firm innovation," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 383-403, August.
- José Albors-Garrigos & José L. Hervas-Oliver, 2011. "Making sense of innovation by R&D and non-R&D innovators in low technology contexts: a forgotten lesson for policymakers," Working Papers. Serie EC 2011-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Hervas-Oliver, Jose-Luis & Sempere-Ripoll, Francisca & Boronat-Moll, Carles, 2012. "Process innovation objectives and management complementarities: patterns, drivers, co-adoption and performance effects," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 051, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Park, Byung Il & Ghauri, Pervez N., 2011. "Key factors affecting acquisition of technological capabilities from foreign acquiring firms by small and medium sized local firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 116-125, January.
- Barge, A. & Modrego, Aurelia, 2011.
"The impact of research and technology organizations on firm competitiveness : measurement and determinants,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/15238, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Andrés Barge-Gil & Aurelia Modrego, 2011. "The impact of research and technology organizations on firm competitiveness. Measurement and determinants," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 61-83, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.