Do low corporate income tax rates attract FDI? - Evidence from Central- and East European countries
AbstractFifty six bilateral country relationships combining 7 home countries from the EU and the US, and 8 Central and East European host countries (CEECs) of foreign direct investment (FDI) from 1995-2003 are used in a panel gravity-model setting to estimate the role of taxation as a determinant of FDI. While gravity variables explain most of the variation of FDI inflows, the bilateral effective average tax rate (beatr) is roughly equally important to other cost-related factors. The semi-elasticity of FDI with respect to taxes is about -4.3. This value is above those of earlier studies in absolute terms and can partly be attributed to using the beatr instead of the statutory tax rate. Our results indicate that tax-lowering strategies of CEEC governments seem to have an important impact on foreign firms location decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 41 (2009)
Issue (Month): 21 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giulia Faggio, 2007.
"Job Destruction, Job Creation and Unemployment in Transition Countries: What Can We Learn?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0798, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Giulia Faggio, 2007. "Job destruction, job creation and unemployment in transition countries: what can we learn?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19716, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Svetlana Raudonen & Andreas Freytag, 2012. "Determinants of FDI inflows into the Baltic countries: Empirical evidence from a gravity model," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-060, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008.
"Corporate tax elasticities: a reader's guide to empirical findings,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 680-697, winter.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008. "Corporate Tax Elasticities A Reader’s Guide to Empirical Findings," Working Papers 0822, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Markus Leibrecht & Michael Klien & Oezlem Onaran, 2011. "Globalization, welfare regimes and social protection expenditures in Western and Eastern European countries," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 148(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Lars Calmfors & Giancarlo Corsetti & Michael P. Devereux & Seppo Honkapohja & Gilles Saint-Paul & Hans-Werner Sinn & Jan-Egbert Sturm & Xavier Vives, 2007. "Chapter 5: Tax competition," EEAG Report on the European Economy, CESifo Group Munich, vol. 0, pages 121-132, 02.
- Friedrich Heinemann & Michael Overesch & Johannes Rincke, 2010.
"Rate-Cutting Tax Reforms And Corporate Tax Competition In Europe,"
Economics and Politics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(3), pages 498-518, November.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Overesch, Michael & Rincke, Johannes, 2008. "Rate Cutting Tax Reforms and Corporate Tax Competition in Europe," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-028, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Markus Leibrecht & Aleksandra Riedl, 2012. "Modelling FDI based on a spatially augmented gravity model: Evidence for Central and Eastern European Countries," Working Paper Series in Economics 239, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Michael P Devereux, 2007. "The Impact of Taxation on the Location of Capital, Firms and Profit: a Survey of Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 0702, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Petra Bubáková, 2013. "Gravity Model of International Trade, Its Variables, Assumptions, Problems and Applications," Acta Oeconomica Pragensia, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(2), pages 3-24.
- Nikolaos Antonakakis & Gabriele Tondl, 2011.
"Do determinants of FDI to developing countries differ among OECD investors? Insights from Bayesian Model Averaging,"
FIW Working Paper series
- Antonakakis, Nikolaos & Tondl, Gabriele, 2012. "Do determinants of FDI to developing countries differ among OECD investors? Insights from Bayesian model averaging," Discussion Papers 1/12, Europa-Kolleg Hamburg, Institute for European Integration.
- Özlem Onaran & Valerie Boesch, 2014. "The effect of globalization on the distribution of taxes and social expenditures in Europe: do welfare state regimes matter?," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 46(2), pages 373-397, February.
- Simona Rasciute & Eric J. Pentecost, 2008. "The Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the Central and Eastern European Countries: A Mixed Logit and Multilevel Data Approach," Discussion Paper Series 2008_04, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2008.
- Yulia Gorbunova & Davide Infante & Janna Smirnova, 2012. "New Evidence on FDI Determinants: An Appraisal Over the Transition Period," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(2), pages 129-149.
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2006. "Measuring the Impacts of FDI in Central and Eastern Europe," NBER Working Papers 12808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hwangbo, Kyoung & Kim, Young-Han, 2013. "Welfare effects of competition for FDI between technologically asymmetric countries with varying trade costs," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 493-501.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Elisa Ticci, 2013. "Biofuel Development and Large-Scale Land Deals in Sub-Saharan Africa," Working Papers - Economics wp2013_27.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Zambujal-Oliveira, J., 2012. "Tax competition for foreign direct investment under information uncertainty," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2269-2273.
- Baskaran, Thushyanthan & Lopes da Fonseca, Mariana, 2013. "The economics and empirics of tax competition: A survey," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 163, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Ozlem Onaran & Valerie Boesch & Markus Leibrecht, 2012. "How Does Globalization Affect The Implicit Tax Rates On Labor Income, Capital Income, And Consumption In The European Union?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(4), pages 880-904, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.