Productive efficiency and exports: an examination of alternative hypotheses for the Greek cement industry
AbstractEfficiency loss that is due to over- or under-capacity utilization is a significant factor influencing the exporting activity of firms. Using time series data from the Greek cement industry, it is found that efficiency loss triggers export activities up to a certain threshold where firms se to export in order to reduce the deviation from optimum capacity utilization. Beyond this threshold, the size of efficiency loss becomes a major barrier to export in terms of competitiveness. Thus, both the Self-Selection Hypothesis (SSH) and the well-known Market Selection Hypothesis (MSH) may be in operation for various sizes of efficiency loss.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Bernard & Joachim Wagner, 1997.
"Exports and success in German manufacturing,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 134-157, March.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997.
"Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?,"
NBER Working Papers
6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999. "Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bernard, A., 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," Working papers 97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Aw, B. -Y. & Hwang, A. R., 1995. "Productivity and the export market: A firm-level analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 313-332, August.
- Badi H. Baltagi & James M. Griffin & Sharada R. Vadali, 1998. "Excess capacity: a permanent characteristic of US airlines?," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 645-657.
- Steen, F & Sorgard, L, 1996.
"Semicollusion in the Norwegian Cement Market,"
10/96, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Richard N. Langlois & Nicolai J. Foss, 1996.
"Capabilities and Governance the Rebirth of Production in the Theory of Economic Organization,"
1996-02, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Langlois, Richard N & Foss, Nicolai J, 1999. "Capabilities and Governance: The Rebirth of Production in the Theory of Economic Organization," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 201-18.
- Richard N. Langlois & Nicolai J. Foss, 1997. "Capabilities and Governance the Rebirth of Production in the Theory of Economic Organization," DRUID Working Papers 97-2, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Robert Feenstra, 2004.
"Estimating The Effects Of Trade Policy,"
9510, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Department of Economics 95-10, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," NBER Working Papers 5051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Estimating the Effects of Trade Policy," Papers 95-10, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Roberts, Mark J & Tybout, James R, 1997. "The Decision to Export in Colombia: An Empirical Model of Entry with Sunk Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 545-64, September.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Holly, Sean & Wade, Keith, 1991. "UK Exports of Manufactures: The Role of Supply Side Factors," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 38(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Bee Yan Aw & Sukkyun Chung & Mark J. Roberts, 1998. "Productivity and the Decision to Export: Micro Evidence from Taiwan and South Korea," NBER Working Papers 6558, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Segerson, Kathleen & Squires, Dale, 1993. "Capacity Utilization under Regulatory Constraints," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 76-85, February.
- COELLI, Tim & GRIFELL-TATJE, Emili & PERELMAN, Sergio, 2001.
"Capacity utilisation and profitability: a decomposition of short run profit efficiency,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2001052, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Coelli, Tim & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Perelman, Sergio, 2002. "Capacity utilisation and profitability: A decomposition of short-run profit efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 261-278, October.
- Steven Globerman & Thomas W Roehl & Stephen Standifird, 2001. "Globalization and Electronic Commerce: Inferences from Retail Brokering," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 749-768, December.
- Knudsen, Thorbjørn & Madsen, Tage Koed, 2002. "Export strategy: : a dynamic capabilities perspective," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 475-502, December.
- Madsen, J., 1991. "Accounting for Supply, Integration and Income in Foreign Trade," Papers 230, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996.
"Is "Learning-by-Exporting" Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco,"
NBER Working Papers
5715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sofronis K. Clerides & Saul Lach & James R. Tybout, 1998. "Is Learning By Exporting Important? Micro-Dynamic Evidence From Colombia, Mexico, And Morocco," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(3), pages 903-947, August.
- Sofronis Clerides & Saul Lach & James Tybout, 1996. "Is "learning-by-exporting" important? Micro-dynamic evidence from Colombia, Mexico and Morocco," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 96-30, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michael Storper & Yun-chung Chen & Fernando De Paolis, 2000. "The Effects of Globalization on the Location of Industries in the OECD and European Union," DRUID Working Papers 00-7, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Foss, Nicolai J., 1999. "Networks, capabilities, and competitive advantage," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Astrid Cullmann & Andreas Kappeler, 2006.
"Efficiency analysis of German electricity distribution utilities - non-parametric and parametric tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2553-2566.
- von Hirschhausen, Christian R. & Cullmann, Astrid, 2005. "Efficiency Analysis of German Electricity Distribution Utilities : Non-Parametric and Parametric Tests," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 06/05, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Kounetas, Kostas & Skuras, Dimitris & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2011. "Promoting energy efficiency policies over the information barrier," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 72-84, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.