Capacity Utilization under Regulatory Constraints
AbstractThis paper presents a methodology for predicting the effect of quota-type regulatory constraints on capacity utilization for a multiproduct profit-maximizing firm. The approach builds on recent advances in the use of virtual prices to model the effects of rationing. This allows the effects of regulatory constraints to be examined ex ante. The methodology is illustrated through a case stud y of the imposition of output quotas in an open-access marine fishing industry on the Pacific Coast of the United States. The results sugg est that, for certain species, output quotas can cause strong disinvestm ent incentives. Copyright 1993 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 75 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Prior, Diego & De Borger, Bruno, 2009.
"Static Efficiency Decompositions and Capacity Utilisation: Integrating Economic and Technical Capacity Notions,"
2009/30, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2013. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(24), pages 3529-3529, August.
- Bruno De Borger & Kristiaan Kerstens & Diego Prior & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2012. "Static efficiency decompositions and capacity utilization: integrating economic and technical capacity notions," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(31), pages 4125-4141, November.
- Fousekis, Panos, 2002. "Distance Vs. Ray Functions: An Application To The Inshore Fishery Of Greece," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 17(4).
- Leung, PingSun & Sharma, Khem R. & Pradhan, Naresh C., 2003. "Analyzing Technical And Economic Interrelationships In Hawaii'S Longline Fishery," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 18(2).
- Felthoven, Ronald G., 2000. "Measuring Fishing Capacity: An Application To In North Pacific Groundfish Fisheries," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21815, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Quinn Weninger, 2008.
"Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery: A Semi-parametric Analysis,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(4), pages 479-497, December.
- Weninger, Quinn, 2004. "Economic Benefits of Management Reform in the Gulf of Mexico Grouper Fishery: A Semi-Parametric Analysis," Staff General Research Papers 11178, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Catherine Paul & Marcelo O. Torres & Ronald Felthoven, 2009. "Fishing Revenue, Productivity and Product Choice in the Alaskan Pollock Fishery," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 44(4), pages 457-474, December.
- H. Kim, 1999. "Economic Capacity Utilization and its Determinants: Theory and Evidence," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 321-339, December.
- Kostas Tsekouras & Dimitris Skuras, 2005. "Productive efficiency and exports: an examination of alternative hypotheses for the Greek cement industry," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 279-291.
- Aiken, Deborah Vaughn, 2006. "Application of the distance function to nonmarket valuation of environmental goods and services: An illustrative example," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 168-175, November.
- Speir, Cameron & Brozovic, Nicholas, 2006. "Supply Response of Commercial Fishermen and Implications for Management of Invasive Asian Carp," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21225, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- James Kirkley & Catherine Morrison Paul & Dale Squires, 2002. "Capacity and Capacity Utilization in Common-pool Resource Industries," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 71-97, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.