The Kuznets U-curve hypothesis: some panel data evidence
AbstractIn this paper Kuznet's U-curve hypothesis is tested on two unbalanced panel data sets of 47 and 62 countries, for the period 1970-93, using two-way fixed and random effects models. Several competing model specifications are estimated and the one best fitting the data is selected by appropriate model selection procedures. It is shown that there is no hard empirical evidence to support the usual econometric model formulations and the U-curve hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 5 (1998)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20
Other versions of this item:
- Matyas, L. & Konya, L. & Macquarie, L., 1997. "The Kuznets U-Curve Hypothesis: Some Panel Data Evidence," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 7/97, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Atici, Cemal, 2012. "Carbon emissions, trade liberalization, and the Japan–ASEAN interaction: A group-wise examination," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 167-178.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Ur Rehman, Ijaz & Ahmad Mahdzan, Nurul Shahnaz, 2013. "Linkages between Income Inequality, International Remittances and Economic Growth in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 45577, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 20 Mar 2013.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Kumar Tiwari, Aviral & Nasir, Muhammad, 2013. "The effects of financial development, economic growth, coal consumption and trade openness on CO2 emissions in South Africa," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 1452-1459.
- Luis Angeles, 2010. "An alternative test of Kuznets’ hypothesis," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 463-473, December.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Tiwari, Aviral & Muhammad, Nasir, 2011. "The effects of financial development, economic growth, coal consumption and trade openness on environment performance in South Africa," MPRA Paper 32723, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Aug 2011.
- Nasir, Muhammad & Ur Rehman, Faiz, 2011. "Environmental Kuznets Curve for carbon emissions in Pakistan: An empirical investigation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1857-1864, March.
- Halkos, George E. & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2001. "Environmental Kuznets curves: Bayesian evidence from switching regime models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 191-210, March.
- Luis Angeles, 2007. "A proper farewell to Kuznets' hypothesi," Working Papers 2007_15, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2004. "Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis: A Survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 431-455, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.