Income convergence: fresh evidence from the Nordic countries
AbstractUsing the recently developed linearity test and nonlinear unit root test, this study shows that the income gaps of Finland, Norway and Sweden with respect to Denmark are nonlinear but stationary with no significant trend effect, implying the Nordic countries have already attained steady state of income equality, a state beyond catching up as identified earlier in Oxley and Gresley (1999). This fresh evidence strengthens the finding of Nordic Convergence Club by these authors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 16 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
Other versions of this item:
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Ahmad, Yusuf, 2006. "Income convergence: fresh evidence from the Nordic countries," MPRA Paper 3637, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2007.
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Kapetanios & Yongcheol Shin, 2004.
"Testing for a Unit Root against Nonlinear STAR Models,"
ESE Discussion Papers
69, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- George Kapetanios & Y. Shin & A. Snell, 2000. "Testing for a Unit Root against Nonlinear STAR Models," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Les Oxley & David Greasley, 1999. "A Nordic convergence club?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 157-160.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2005:i:1:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Kian-Ping Lim, 2005. "Income Divergence? Evidence of Non-linearity in the East Asian Economies," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(1), pages 1-7.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.