Income Divergence? Evidence of Non-linearity in the East Asian Economies
AbstractThis study examines the issue of income convergence in the East-Asian economies from the non-linear point of view. It is shown in this study that the income gaps between Japan and the rest of the East-Asian economies exhibit nonlinearities. It is further shown that after taking non-linearity into consideration, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines exhibit divergence behaviour with respect to Japan's income, whereas Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan and Singapore show otherwise.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Kian-Ping Lim, 2003. "The inadequacy of linear autoregressive model for real exchange rates: empirical evidence from Asian economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(12), pages 1387-1392.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995.
"Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests,"
918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-18, Nov.-Dec..
- Venus Khim-sen Liew & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Terence Tai-leung Chong, 2003.
"Are Asian Real Exchange Rates Stationary?,"
0307002, EconWPA, revised 01 Nov 2004.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Li, Qing & Papell, David, 1999. "Convergence of international output Time series evidence for 16 OECD countries," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 267-280, September.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Zhuo Qiao & Wing-keung Wong, 2010.
"Linearity and stationarity of G7 government bond returns,"
AccessEcon, vol. 30(4), pages 2642-2655.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Qiao, Zhuo & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2008. "Linearity and stationarity of G7 government bond returns," MPRA Paper 24836, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Sep 2010.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Ahmad, Yusuf, 2006. "Income convergence? Evidence of non-linearity in the East Asian Economies: A comment," MPRA Paper 519, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Habibullah, M.S. & Dayang-Afizzah, A.M. & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Lim, Kian-Ping, 2008. "Testing nonlinear convergence in Malaysia,1965-2003," MPRA Paper 12110, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Ahmad, Yusuf, 2006.
"Income convergence: fresh evidence from the Nordic countries,"
3637, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2007.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Yusuf Ahmad, 2009. "Income convergence: fresh evidence from the Nordic countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(12), pages 1245-1248.
- Lau, Evan & Lee, Koon Po, 2007.
"Interdependence of Income between China and ASEAN-5 Countries,"
2231, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Evan Lau & Koon Po Lee, 2008. "Interdependence of income between China and ASEAN-5 countries," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 148-161, December.
- Duasa, Jarita, 2008. "Income convergence of divergence? Study on selected Muslim countries," MPRA Paper 11563, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jahan, Sumbul, 2013. "Does Convergence Exist?," MPRA Paper 48836, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.