Are Asian Real Exchange Rates Stationary?
AbstractBy applying the newly developed nonlinear stationary test advanced by Kapetanois et al. [Journal of Econometrics 112 (2003) 359 - 379] in examining the stationary property of 11 Asian real exchange rates, this paper rejects unit root in 8 US dollar based and 6 Japanese yen based rates, whereas the augmented Dickey-Fuller test has led to no rejection at all.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0307002.
Date of creation: 23 Jul 2003
Date of revision: 01 Nov 2004
Note: Type of Document - Word
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Real exchange rates; Asia; mean reversion; nonlinear stationary test; ADF test.;
Other versions of this item:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-ETS-2003-07-29 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-IFN-2003-07-29 (International Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-07-29 (Risk Management)
- NEP-SEA-2003-07-29 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sarno, Lucio, 2000. "Real exchange rate behavior in the Middle East: a re-examination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 127-136, February.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Kian-Ping Lim, 2003. "The inadequacy of linear autoregressive model for real exchange rates: empirical evidence from Asian economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(12), pages 1387-1392.
- Ashok Parikh & Geoffrey Williams, 1998. "Modelling real exchange rate behaviour: a cross-country study," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(6), pages 577-587.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Barkoulas, John T. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2001.
"Nonlinear adjustment to purchasing power parity in the post-Bretton Woods era,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & John Barkoulas, 1998. "Nonlinear Adjustment to Purchasing Power Parity in the post-Bretton Woods Era," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 404., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 16 Nov 1999.
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshahb & Evan Laub, 2004. "Nonlinear Adjustment towards Purchasing Power Parity in ASEAN Exchange Rates," The IUP Journal of Applied Economics, IUP Publications, vol. 0(6), pages 7-18, November.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 2001.
"Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2913, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lucio Sarno & Mark P. Taylor, 2002. "Purchasing Power Parity and the Real Exchange Rate," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(1), pages 5.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.