Nonlinear Adjustment towards Purchasing Power Parity in ASEAN Exchange Rates
AbstractThe major finding of this study is that the long run purchasing power parity (PPP) deviations of the major ASEAN exchange rates exhibit nonlinear adjustment which may be characterised by the Smooth Transition Autoregressive (STAR) model. This finding warrants us that policy decision based on inappropriate linear studies may not be effectiveness. Besides, exchange rates with deviations with higher speed of adjustment are found to be more pruned to currency crisis.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IUP Publications in its journal The IUP Journal of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): III (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Liew, Venus Khim-sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Chong, Terence Tai-leung, 2004.
"Are Asian real exchange rates stationary?,"
Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 313-316, June.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Lee, Hock-Ann & Lim, Kian-Ping, 2005.
"Purchasing power parity in Asian economies: further evidence from rank tests for cointegration,"
15530, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Hock-Ann Lee & Kian-Ping Lim, 2009. "Purchasing power parity in Asian economies: further evidence from rank tests for cointegration," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 51-54.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Chan Tze-Haw & Stilianos Fountas, 2007.
"Re-examining purchasing power parity for East-Asian currencies: 1976-2002,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 75-85.
- Barumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Chan, Tze-Haw & Fountas, Stilianos, 2004. "Re-examining Purchasing Power Parity for East-Asian Currencies: 1976-2002," MPRA Paper 2025, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2006.
- Liew Khim Sen & Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah, 2003.
"Forecasting Performance of Logistic STAR Exchange Rate Model: The Original and Reparameterised Versions,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Lau, Sie-Hoe, 2002. "Forecasting performance of Logistic STAR exchange rate model: The original and reparameterised versions," MPRA Paper 511, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- E. Feess & Gerd Muehlheusser & M. Walzl, 2008. "Unfair contests," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(3), pages 267-291, 04.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen, 2009.
"Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen,"
15550, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Jun 2009.
- Venus khim-sen Liew, 2009. "Linear and nonlinear monetary approaches to the exchange rate of the Philippines peso-Japanese yen," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 1320-1329.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Liew Khim Sen & Lim Kian Ping, 2003. "Exchange Rates Forecasting Model: An Alternative Estimation Procedure," International Finance 0307005, EconWPA.
- Ahmad Zubaidi Baharumshah & Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Evan Lau, 2003. "Nonlinear Mean Reversion in Real Exchange Rates: Evidence from the ASEAN-5," International Trade 0308001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (G R K Murty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.