The Validity of PPP Revisited: An Application of Non-linear Unit Root Test
AbstractTo this end, the validity of purchasing power parity (PPP) remains a controversial issue, as empirical evidence is inconclusive. This study provides robust empirical evidence to support the view that negligence of non-linearity may be the culprit of these contrasting findings. This paper demonstrates that the non-linear unit root test proposed by Kapetanois et al. [Journal of Econometrics, 2003, 112, pp.359-379] is able to reject unit root in 4 out of 5 cases, implying that deviations of exchange rates is mean reverting towards the PPP equilibrium values from the non-linear perspective, whereas the augmented Dickey-Fuller (ADF) test fails in 4 out of 5 cases. Thus, previous conclusions of the invalidity of PPP may be due to misleading results from the ADF test, which has low power against non-linearity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0308001.
Date of creation: 03 Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document -
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Purchasing power parity; Mean reversion; ASEAN economies; Real exchange rates; Non-linear unit root.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edison, Hali J. & Fisher, Eric O'N, 1991.
"A long-run view of the European monetary system,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 53-70, March.
- Charles Engel & Michael K. Hendrickson & John H. Rogers, 1997.
"Intra-National, Intra-Continental, and Intra-Planetary PPP,"
NBER Working Papers
6069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel & Michael K. Hendrickson & John H. Rogers, 1997. "Intra-national, intra-continental, and intra-planetary PPP," International Finance Discussion Papers 589, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hsieh, David A, 1989. "Testing for Nonlinear Dependence in Daily Foreign Exchange Rates," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 339-68, July.
- William Barnett & Apostolos Serletis, 2012.
"Martingales, Nonlinearity, And Chaos,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
201225, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Terence Tai-Leung Chong & Kian-Ping Lim, 2003. "The inadequacy of linear autoregressive model for real exchange rates: empirical evidence from Asian economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(12), pages 1387-1392.
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Christopher F. Baum & John T. Barkoulas & Mustafa Caglayan, 1998.
"Long memory or structural breaks: Can either explain nonstationary real exchange rates under the current float?,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
380, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Barkoulas, John T. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 1999. "Long memory or structural breaks: can either explain nonstationary real exchange rates under the current float?," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 359-376, November.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Potter, Simon M, 1992. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Econometrics: An Introduction," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S1-7, Suppl. De.
- Azali, M. & Habibullah, M. S. & Baharumshah, A. Z., 2001. "Does PPP hold between Asian and Japanese economies? Evidence using panel unit root and panel cointegration," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 35-50, January.
- Salehizadeh, Mehdi & Taylor, Robert, 1999. "A test of purchasing power parity for emerging economies," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 183-193, April.
- repec:att:wimass:9520 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cuddington, John T. & Liang, Hong, 2000. "Purchasing power parity over two centuries?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 753-757, October.
- Sarno, Lucio, 2000. "Real exchange rate behavior in the Middle East: a re-examination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 127-136, February.
- O'Connell, Paul G. J., 1998. "The overvaluation of purchasing power parity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Jun Nagayasu, 1998. "Does the Long-Run Ppp Hypothesis Hold for Africa? Evidence From Panel Co-Integration Study," IMF Working Papers 98/123, International Monetary Fund.
- Corbae, Dean & Ouliaris, Sam, 1988. "Cointegration and Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 508-11, August.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Peel, David A., 2000. "Nonlinear adjustment, long-run equilibrium and exchange rate fundamentals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 33-53, February.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & John Barkoulas, 1998.
"Nonlinear Adjustment to Purchasing Power Parity in the post-Bretton Woods Era,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
404., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 16 Nov 1999.
- Baum, Christopher F. & Barkoulas, John T. & Caglayan, Mustafa, 2001. "Nonlinear adjustment to purchasing power parity in the post-Bretton Woods era," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes, 2001. "Nonparametric cointegration analysis of real exchange rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 1-8.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Athanasios Papadopoulos, 2006.
"Purchasing Power Parity among developing countries and their trade-partners. Evidence from selected CEECs and Implications for their membership of EU,"
0716, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Athanasios P. Papadopoulos, 2006. "Purchasing Power Parity among Developing Countries and their Trade-Partners. Evidence from Selected CEEC and Implications for their Membership of EU," Ekonomia, Cyprus Economic Society and University of Cyprus, vol. 9(1), pages 39-56, Summer.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Athanasios P. Papadopoulos, 2007. "Purchasing Power Parity among developing countries and their trade-partners. Evidence from selected CEECs and Implications for their membership of EU," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 55, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Athanasios Papadopoulos, 2007.
"Estimating the Equilibrium Effective Exchange Rate for Potential EMU Members,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 307-326, July.
- Nikolaos Giannellis & Athanasios Papadopoulos, 2005. "Estimating the Equilibrium Effective Exchange Rate for Potential EMU members," Working Papers 0719, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 08 Mar 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.