Income convergence: fresh evidence from the Nordic countries
AbstractUsing the recently developed linearity test and non-linear unit root test, this study shows that the income gaps of Finland, Norway and Sweden with respect to Denmark are non-linear but stationary with no significant trend effect, implying the Nordic countries have already attained steady state of income equality, a state beyond catching up as identified earlier in Oxley and Greasley (1999). This fresh evidence strengthens the finding of Nordic Convergence Club by these authors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 3637.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision: Mar 2007
Income Convergence; Nordic Countries; Nonlinear; Linearity; Catching Up; Long-run convergence;
Other versions of this item:
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Yusuf Ahmad, 2009. "Income convergence: fresh evidence from the Nordic countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(12), pages 1245-1248.
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2005:i:1:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Les Oxley & David Greasley, 1999. "A Nordic convergence club?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 157-160.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Kian-Ping Lim, 2005. "Income Divergence? Evidence of Non-linearity in the East Asian Economies," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(1), pages 1-7.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.