A Nonlinear Panel Unit Root Test under Cross Section Dependence
AbstractWe propose a nonlinear heterogeneous panel unit root test for testing the null hypothesis of unit-roots processes against the alternative that allows a proportion of units to be generated by globally stationary ESTAR processes and a remaining non-zero proportion to be generated by unit root processes. The proposed test is simple to implement and accommodates cross sectional dependence. We show that the distribution of the test statistic is free of nuisance parameters as (N, T) −∞. Monte Carlo simulation shows that our test holds correct size and under the hypothesis that data are generated by globally stationary ESTAR processes has a better power than the recent test proposed in Pesaran . An application to a panel of bilateral real exchange rate series with the US Dollar from the 20 major OECD countries is provided.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow in its series Working Papers with number 2009_28.
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Nonlinear panel unit root tests; cross sectional dependence.;
Other versions of this item:
- Cerrato, Mario & de Peretti, Christian & Larsson, Rolf & Sarantis, Nicholas, 2011. "A Nonlinear Panel Unit Root Test under Cross Section Dependence," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-30, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Mario Cerrato & Christian de Peretti & Rolf Larsson & Nicholas Sarantis, 2011. "A nonlinear panel unit root test under cross section dependence," Working Papers 2011_08, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Mario Cerrato & Christian de Peretti & Nick Sarantis, 2008. "A Nonlinear Panel Unit Root Test under Cross Section Dependence," Working Papers 2008_08, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Mario Cerrato & Christian De Peretti & Nick Sarantis, 2007. "A nonlinear panel unit root test under cross section dependence," Documents de recherche 07-12, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-08-08 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-08-08 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galor, Oded & Weil, David, 1998.
"Population, Technology and Growth: From the Malthusian Regime to the Demographic Transition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1981, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oded Galor & David N. Weil, 1998. "Population, Technology, and Growth: From the Malthusian Regime to the Demographic Transition," Working Papers 98-1, Brown University, Department of Economics, revised 19 Aug 1998.
- Frank, Murray & Gencay, Ramazan & Stengos, Thanasis, 1988. "International chaos?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1569-1584, October.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Elisa Tosetti, 2011.
"Large panels with common factors and spatial correlation,"
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Tosetti, Elisa, 2011. "Large panels with common factors and spatial correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 182-202, April.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Elisa Tosetti, 2011. "Large panels with common factors and spatial correlation," Post-Print peer-00796743, HAL.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Tosetti, E., 2007. "Large Panels with Common Factors and Spatial Correlations," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0743, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Elisa Tosetti, 2007. "Large Panels with Common Factors and Spatial Correlations," CESifo Working Paper Series 2103, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Tosetti, Elisa, 2007. "Large Panels with Common Factors and Spatial Correlations," IZA Discussion Papers 3032, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- n/a, 2001. "Balance of payments prospects in EMU," NIESR Discussion Papers 164, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Nathan S. Balke & Thomas B. Fomby, 1992.
9209, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1997.
"Industrial Development, Technological Change, and Long-RunGrowth,"
97-10, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Peretto, Pietro F., 1999. "Industrial development, technological change, and long-run growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 389-417, August.
- Cerrato, Mario & Sarantis, Nicholas, 2007. "A bootstrap panel unit root test under cross-sectional dependence, with an application to PPP," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(8), pages 4028-4037, May.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- P. Newbold & S. J. Leybourne & R. Sollis & M. E. Wohar, 2001. "U.S. and U.K. Interest Rates 1890 - 1934: New Evidence on Structural Breaks," Trinity Economics Papers 20011, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Fiaschi, Davide & Lavezzi, Andrea Mario, 2007.
"Nonlinear economic growth: Some theory and cross-country evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 271-290, September.
- Davide Fiaschi & Andrea Mario Lavezzi, 2003. "Nonlinear Economic Growth: Some Theory and Cross-Country Evidence," Discussion Papers 2003/14, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Choi, In, 2001. "Unit root tests for panel data," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 249-272, April.
- Michael, Panos & Nobay, A Robert & Peel, David A, 1997.
"Transactions Costs and Nonlinear Adjustment in Real Exchange Rates: An Empirical Investigation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(4), pages 862-79, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Michael-Nobay-Peel ESTAR models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00113, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Akhmedjonov, Alisher & Lau, Chi Keung, 2012. "Do energy prices converge across Russian regions?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1623-1631.
- Chi-Keung Lau, 2010. "Convergence Across the United States: Evidence from Panel ESTAR Unit Root Test," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 52-64, February.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2010.
"The nature of regional unemployment in Italy,"
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 877-895, December.
- Lau, Chi Keung Marco & Suvankulov, Farrukh & Su, Yongyang & Chau, Frankie, 2012. "Some cautions on the use of nonlinear panel unit root tests: Evidence from a modified series-specific non-linear panel unit-root test," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 810-816.
- Cushman, David O. & Michael, Nils, 2011. "Nonlinear trends in real exchange rates: A panel unit root test approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1619-1637.
- Mario Cerrato & Christian de Peretti & Chris Stewart, 2008. "Is the consumption-income ratio stationary? Evidence from a nonlinear panel unit root test for OECD and non-OECD countries," Working Papers 2008_27, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Lau, Marco Chi Keung & Fung, Ka Wai Terence, 2013. "Convergence in Health Care Expenditure of 14 EU Countries: New Evidence from Non-linear Panel Unit Root Test," MPRA Paper 52871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herrerias, M.J. & Ordoñez, J., 2012.
"New evidence on the role of regional clusters and convergence in China (1952–2008),"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1120-1133.
- M. J. Herrerias & Javier Ordoñez, 2011. "New Evidence on the Role of Regional Clusters and Convergence in China (1952-2008)," Working Papers 2011/07, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- LAU, Chi Keung Marco, 2010. "New evidence about regional income divergence in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 293-309, June.
- Chen, Shu-Ling & Kim, Hyeongwoo, 2008.
"Nonlinear Mean Reversion across National Stock Markets: Evidence from Emerging Asian Markets,"
18680, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2009.
- Shu-Ling Chen & Hyeongwoo Kim, 2011. "Nonlinear Mean Reversion across National Stock Markets: Evidence from Emerging Asian Markets," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 239-250.
- Barry Harrison & Winston Moore, 2010. "Nonlinearities in Stock Returns for Some Recent Entrants to the EU," Working Papers 2010/1, Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham Business School, Economics Division.
- Giray Gozgor, 2013. "Testing Unemployment Persistence in Central and Eastern European Countries," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 3(3), pages 694-700.
- Lau, Chi Keung Marco & Chau, Frankie & Deesomsak, Rataporn, 2011. "Panel Unit Root Test with Nonlinear Mean Reversion and Smooth Breaks," MPRA Paper 53602, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lanzafame, Matteo, 2012. "Current account sustainability in advanced economies," MPRA Paper 42384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeanette Findlay).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.