High-Tech Exports from Developing Countries: A Symptom of Technology Spurts or Statistical Illusion?
AbstractSpecialization in high-tech products is frequently used to capture technology intensity of exports. The literature suggests that developing countries are increasingly becoming exporters of high-tech products, and some may even be among the most deeply specialized countries in the field of high-tech exports. The paper scrutinizes the relevance of the taxonomies that classify exports by technological intensity in this context. It is shown that specialization in high-tech exports typically does not appear in tandem with indigenous technological capabilities in developing countries. The analysis of intra-product imports suggests that the bulk of high-tech exports can actually be attributed to the effect of increasingly international fragmentation of production systems in electronics on trade statistics. It is confirmed in an econometric framework that while domestic technological capabilities have some influence on export performance in electronics, it is the propensity to import electronics components that accounts for by far the largest proportion of cross-country differences in specialization in electronics exports. The paper concludes with some implications for policy and future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of World Economics.
Volume (Year): 143 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hindenburgufer 66, D-24105 Kiel
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10290/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Martin Srholec, 2005. "High-tech exports from developing countries: A symptom of technology spurts or statistical illusion?," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20051215, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sanjaya Lall, Manuel Albaladejo and Jinkang Zhang (QEH), .
"Mapping Fragmentation: Electronics and Automobiles in East Asia and Latin America,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps115, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Sanjaya Lall & Manuel Albaladejo & Jinkang Zhang, 2004. "Mapping fragmentation: Electronics and automobiles in East Asia and Latin America," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(3), pages 407-432.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998.
"Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003. "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Working Papers 986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004.
"A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo),"
SPRU Working Paper Series
111, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Coco, Alberto, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 629-654, April.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," CEIS Research Paper 44, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Boy Luthje, 2002. "Electronics Contract Manufacturing: Global Production and the International Division of Labor in the Age of the Internet," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 227-247.
- Anna Kadeřábková & Martin Srholec, 2001. "Structural changes in transitive economies," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2001(4).
- Alesina, Alberto, et al, 2003.
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 155-94, June.
- Wacziarg, Romain & Alesina, Alberto & Devleeschauwer, Arnaud & Easterly, William & Kurlat, Sergio, 2002. "Fractionalization," Research Papers 1744, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2003. "Fractionalization," NBER Working Papers 9411, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto & Devleeschauwer, Arnaud & Wacziarg, Romain & Kurlat, Sergio & Easterly, William, 2003. "Fractionalization," Scholarly Articles 4553003, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Arnaud Devleeschauwer & William Easterly & Sergio Kurlat & Romain Wacziarg, 2002. "Fractionalization," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1959, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mike Hobday, 2003. "Innovation in Asian Industrialization: A Gerschenkronian Perspective," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 293-314.
- Thomas Hatzichronoglou, 1997. "Revision of the High-Technology Sector and Product Classification," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 1997/2, OECD Publishing.
- Pari Patel & Keith Pavitt, 1991. "Large Firms in the Production of the World’s Technology: An Important Case of “Non-Globalisation”," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(1), pages 1-21, March.
- John Cantwell & Simona Iammarino, 1998. "MNCs, Technological Innovation and Regional Systems in the EU: Some Evidence in the Italian Case," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 383-408.
- Jan Fagerberg, 1996. "Competitiveness, Scale and R&D," Working Papers Archives 1996545, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Martin Borowiecki & Bernhard Dachs & Doris Hanzl-Weiss & Steffen Kinkel & Johannes Pöschl & Magdolna Sass & Thomas Christian Schmall & Robert Stehrer & Andrea Szalavetz, 2012. "Global Value Chains and the EU Industry," wiiw Research Reports 383, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Srholec, Martin & Verspagen, Bart, 2008.
"The Voyage of the Beagle in Innovation Systems Land.Explorations on Sectors, Innovation, Heterogeneity and Selection,"
MERIT Working Papers
008, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Srholec, Martin & Verspagen, Bart, 2008. "The Voyage of the Beagle in Innovation Systems Land.Explorations on Sectors, Innovation, Heterogeneity and Selection," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 008, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Martin Srholec & Bart Verspagen, 2008. "The Voyage of the Beagle in Innovation Systems Land. Explorations on Sectors, Innovation, Heterogeneity and Selection," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20080220, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Edinaldo Tebaldi, 2011. "The Determinants of High-Technology Exports: A Panel Data Analysis," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 39(4), pages 343-353, December.
- Richard Woodward & Elzbieta Wojnicka & Wojciech Pander, 2012. "Knowledge-Intensive Entrepreneurship and Opportunities in Two Polish Industries," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 440, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Fu, Dahai & Wu, Yanrui & Tang, Yihong, 2010.
"Does innovation matter for Chinese hightech exports? a firm-level analysis,"
30012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dahai Fu & Yanrui Wu & Yihong Tang, 2011. "Does Innovation Matter for Chinese High-Tech Exports? A Firm-Level Analysis," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 11-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Srholec, Martin & Knell, Mark, 2007. "The Competitiveness of Nations: Why Some Countries Prosper While Others Fall Behind," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1595-1620, October.
- Klimis Vogiatzoglou, 2009. "Determinants of Export Specialization in ICT Products: A Cross-Country Analysis," Working Papers 2009.3, International Network for Economic Research - INFER.
- Marek Rojíček, 2010. "Competitiveness of the Trade of the Czech Republic in the Process of Globalisation," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2010(2), pages 147-165.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.